- ‘BoJack Horseman’ hints at a brutal reckoning in its final season 5 Years Ago
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Slavia Praha in the Champions League Today 2:00 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Ajax in the Champions League Today 1:00 AM
- People are using #WheresLindsey to criticize Graham over Trump ‘lynching’ defense Tuesday 8:22 PM
- 2 Proud Boys sentenced to 4 years in prison for attacking antifa protesters Tuesday 7:20 PM
- Paul Joseph Watson is very upset by bartender serving beer with her butt Tuesday 6:24 PM
- Twitter developing a policy to combat deepfakes Tuesday 5:28 PM
- The Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal bout at UFC 244 is perfect for NYC and its fight mecca Tuesday 5:27 PM
- Alexis Bledel named most dangerous online celebrity Tuesday 5:02 PM
- Kylie Jenner trademarks ‘rise and shine’ after meme success Tuesday 4:50 PM
- ‘Watchmen’ website expands what you know about its alt-history Tuesday 4:31 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 8: Mark Walton szn Tuesday 4:26 PM
- Venmo’s first-ever credit card to launch in 2020 Tuesday 3:46 PM
- Wet Kylo Ren may turn everyone to the dark side Tuesday 3:15 PM
- Man allegedly targeted trans women on dating app, robbed them at knifepoint Tuesday 3:02 PM
We were already kind of excited about the next X-Men movie, but this casting news has made things a lot more interesting: Sophie Turner, Game of Thrones‘ Sansa Stark, is going to be the new Jean Grey.
X-Men: Apocalypse is the sequel to X-Men: Days of Future Past, which rewrote the history of the X-Men universe. So, the older Professor X and Magneto (Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen) are bowing out, and the new film will focus on the younger generation — which means casting new actors to play the core X-team of Jean Grey, Storm, and Cyclops.
— Sophie Turner (@SophieT) January 23, 2015
Sophie Turner, 18, will be joined by 18-year-old Tye Sheridan (The Tree of Life) as Cyclops and 23-year-old singer/actress Alexandra Shipp (Aaliyah: The Princess of R&B) as Storm. Oscar Isaac has already been cast as the villain Apocalypse, and the 1970s generation of X-Men (Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, and Jennifer Lawrence) will reprise their roles from X-Men: Days of Future Past and First Class.
Turner was reportedly up against Saoirse Ronan, Chloe Grace Moretz, and Hailee Steinfeld to play Jean Grey, Professor X’s telepathic protege. Since all of these actors are far better known than anyone who was in the running to play Cyclops or Storm, it’s possible that Jean Grey will have a more significant role than her teammates.
Many X-Men fans will be hoping that this semi-rebooted cast will correct some of the problems with the earlier movies, which gave Storm and Jean Grey far less important roles than their comic-book counterparts. However, we wouldn’t advise too much optimism in that regard. All of the previous X-Men movies focused more on Wolverine, Magneto, and Professor X, regardless of the decision to cast A-list actresses like Halle Berry and Jennifer Lawrence alongside them.
Photo via Suzi Pratt/Wikimedia (CC-BY-SA-2.0)
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor