- Riots break out after a fake email about coronavirus went viral Thursday 8:59 PM
- Bloomberg edits debate clip to make other Democratic candidates appear speechless Thursday 7:50 PM
- Dad claims YouTube refuses to remove video of daughter’s murder Thursday 6:36 PM
- Video of Kanye leaving Kim in elevator to carry all their bags has people cackling Thursday 6:19 PM
- Orlando Bloom’s tattoo misspelled son’s name because of Pinterest Thursday 5:35 PM
- The Ahi Challenge is the latest dance taking over TikTok Thursday 4:40 PM
- Show criticized for putting rape victim in blackface to protect her identity Thursday 3:42 PM
- Woman becomes viral sensation after iconic ‘Shallow’ subway video Thursday 2:48 PM
- Prettyboyfredo tried to gift a bullied teen some $30,000 Nikes at school—he got detained Thursday 2:13 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: Wedding bells and blows Thursday 1:50 PM
- A 16-year-old made a ‘meme guide’ to help her dad understand online trends Thursday 1:46 PM
- UCLA drops plans to use facial recognition after student pushback Thursday 1:07 PM
- ‘Star Trek: Picard’ recap, episode 5: ‘Stardust City Rag’ Thursday 12:56 PM
- Roger Stone sentenced to 40 months in prison Thursday 12:45 PM
- New The 1975 music video is full of memes you’ll love Thursday 12:28 PM
We were already kind of excited about the next X-Men movie, but this casting news has made things a lot more interesting: Sophie Turner, Game of Thrones‘ Sansa Stark, is going to be the new Jean Grey.
X-Men: Apocalypse is the sequel to X-Men: Days of Future Past, which rewrote the history of the X-Men universe. So, the older Professor X and Magneto (Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen) are bowing out, and the new film will focus on the younger generation — which means casting new actors to play the core X-team of Jean Grey, Storm, and Cyclops.
— Sophie Turner (@SophieT) January 23, 2015
Sophie Turner, 18, will be joined by 18-year-old Tye Sheridan (The Tree of Life) as Cyclops and 23-year-old singer/actress Alexandra Shipp (Aaliyah: The Princess of R&B) as Storm. Oscar Isaac has already been cast as the villain Apocalypse, and the 1970s generation of X-Men (Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, and Jennifer Lawrence) will reprise their roles from X-Men: Days of Future Past and First Class.
Turner was reportedly up against Saoirse Ronan, Chloe Grace Moretz, and Hailee Steinfeld to play Jean Grey, Professor X’s telepathic protege. Since all of these actors are far better known than anyone who was in the running to play Cyclops or Storm, it’s possible that Jean Grey will have a more significant role than her teammates.
Many X-Men fans will be hoping that this semi-rebooted cast will correct some of the problems with the earlier movies, which gave Storm and Jean Grey far less important roles than their comic-book counterparts. However, we wouldn’t advise too much optimism in that regard. All of the previous X-Men movies focused more on Wolverine, Magneto, and Professor X, regardless of the decision to cast A-list actresses like Halle Berry and Jennifer Lawrence alongside them.
Photo via Suzi Pratt/Wikimedia (CC-BY-SA-2.0)
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor