- Video shows liquor store manager calling employee ‘f*cking worthless’ Today 1:16 PM
- Instagram influencer scams followers out of $1.5 million Today 12:22 PM
- Why did the Israeli military tweet this thirst trap? Today 10:43 AM
- Jake Paul wants you to have financial freedom… by paying him a monthly fee Today 10:40 AM
- Tweets from Sanders supporters are terrifying the establishment Today 10:15 AM
- Zuckerberg says he supports 1 bill in Congress that would regulate Facebook Today 10:11 AM
- Uncanny ‘Back to the Future’ deepfake transports Tom Holland and Robert Downey, Jr. to 1985 Today 10:04 AM
- Everyone is doing the Renegade. Including the teen who started it Today 9:23 AM
- Reality Winner is asking for clemency—will she get it? Today 7:59 AM
- There’s a Baby Yoda mod for ‘Star Wars: Battlefront II’ Today 7:38 AM
- ‘Bachelor’ contestant apologizes for ‘White Lives Matter’ photo shoot Today 12:13 AM
- ‘Sonic The Hedgehog’ sets box office record for video game movies Sunday 8:15 PM
- Truck driver allegedly watching porn kills teen driver in a car crash Sunday 6:44 PM
- Is the Buttigieg campaign behind this pro-Pete Nigerian Twitter account? Sunday 4:58 PM
- Mask that has your face printed on it allows you to unlock your phone during viral epidemics Sunday 3:52 PM
Diego Luna shared one such story on Twitter, posting a screencap from Tumblr user riveralwayknew. She wrote about the experience of watching Rogue One with her Mexican father, who was surprised and excited to hear Luna keep his Mexican accent for the film.
“I wanted my Mexican father, with his thick Mexican accent, to experience what it was like to see a hero in a blockbuster film, speak the way he does,” wrote riveralwaysknew.
“When the film was over and we were walking to the car, he turns to me and says, “did you notice that he had an accent?” And I said, “Yeah dad, just like yours.” Then my dad asked me if the film had made a lot of money. I told him it was the second highest grossing film of 2016 despite it only being out for 18 days in 2016 (since new year just came around). He then asked me if people liked the film, I told him that it had a huge following online and great reviews. He then asked me why Diego Luna hadn’t changed his accent and I told him that Diego has openly talked about keeping his accent and how proud he is of it. And my dad was silent for a while and then he said, “And he was a main character.” And I said, “He was.”
Several Rogue One actors have spoken about the importance of the film’s racially diverse cast, including Diego Luna discussing the impact of his accent in the context of the white British and American heroes of previous Star Wars movies.
As for riveralwaysknew’s dad, he will soon know that Diego Luna heard his story. Riveralwaysknew saw Luna tweeting about her Tumblr post, and is looking forward to passing the message on to her father.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor