- Majority of threats made since El Paso and Dayton shootings have been made online Thursday 8:00 PM
- Miley Cyrus tweets about cheating allegations and penis cake drama Thursday 6:32 PM
- ‘The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’ dazzles with a timely tale Thursday 6:00 PM
- The DOJ emailed a white nationalist blog post to immigration judges Thursday 5:31 PM
- The Amazon rainforest is on fire–and people are using memes to cope Thursday 4:11 PM
- Microsoft contractors listened in on Xbox users Thursday 2:15 PM
- Anti-vaxxer assaults pro-vaccine lawmaker on Facebook Live (updated) Thursday 2:15 PM
- Oreos licked by singer Lewis Capaldi are being auctioned off on eBay Thursday 1:54 PM
- Zach Braff predicted Sean Spicer would be on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 2 years ago Thursday 1:38 PM
- NYPD sergeant who watched Eric Garner die punished with lost vacation days Thursday 1:27 PM
- Brie Larson haters have a meltdown over a joke about Thor’s hammer Thursday 1:26 PM
- This comedian attempted to make fun of women on Twitter—and it did not go over well Thursday 1:04 PM
- Logan Paul wants to help the Amazon rainforest Thursday 12:36 PM
- Nutaku announces redesign and filters for LGBTQ porn games (updated) Thursday 12:25 PM
- This video of dozens of inflatable mattresses taking off in the wind is perfect Thursday 12:20 PM
With Michael Fassbender in a leading role, this video game movie might not suck
It will have to be better than Tomb Raider, at any rate.
The Assassin’s Creed movie just landed an unexpectedly awesome lead actor: Michael Fassbender.
This casting may hint at the way the movie will eventually turn out. Fassbender usually goes for serious films like Shame, 12 Years a Slave and Fish Tank, and even his most commercial Hollywood work has been dominated by roles like Magneto in X:Men: First Class and the android David in Prometheus, both of which are relatively meaty roles.
The fact that he’s signed on to do a video game adaptation indicates that Assassin’s Creed will have a lot more depth than your average video game-inspired action movie. Fassbender has never seemed like the type of actor who takes any job just for the paycheck.
Fassbender will co-produce the movie, with Justin Kurzel in talks to direct. Kurzel is currently working on Macbeth with Fassbender and Marion Cotillard: an interesting choice of director, for a movie that is clearly trying to distance itself from video game adaptations like Prince of Persia. and Tomb Raider.
Screencap via heliolisk/Tumblr
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor