- Aaron Paul predicted Jesse Pinkman’s fate on Reddit years ago Today 8:53 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Eli’ is a satisfyingly nasty blend of haunted houses and medical horror Today 7:00 AM
- Why 8chan’s founder is fighting to keep the infamous message board dead Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream NFL Sunday Ticket without DirecTV Today 5:00 AM
- How to watch Arizona State vs. Utah Today 4:00 AM
- How to watch Michigan vs. Penn State Today 4:00 AM
- How to watch Florida vs. South Carolina Today 4:00 AM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Crystal Palace Today 1:00 AM
- How to stream Tottenham Hotspur vs. Watford Friday 9:00 PM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Eibar Friday 6:00 PM
- How to stream ‘Bigfoot’ Silva vs. Gabriel Gonzaga in BKFC Friday 6:00 PM
- Demi Lovato’s nude photos allegedly leaked on Snapchat Friday 3:07 PM
- NBA TV is the new streaming service for basketball fanatics Friday 3:02 PM
- California residents will get cell phone alerts seconds before earthquakes Friday 2:29 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. RCD Mallorca Friday 2:00 PM
Marvel Comics and Jack Kirby estate finally come to an agreement
This legal battle has soured many fans’ relationship with Marvel Comics.
After a lengthy legal dispute, Marvel Comics and the estate of Jack Kirby have finally come to an agreement.
This was a high-profile conflict in the comics industry. Kirby was one of the most influential figures in superhero comics, helping to create numerous world-famous titles such as X-Men, The Incredible Hulk, and The Fantastic Four. However, since many of these characters were created while under contract at Marvel, neither he nor his estate had control over their copyright.
In 2009, the Kirby estate began legal action against Marvel and various film studios, sending out termination notices relating to works based on Kirby characters. This was just the start of an ongoing attempt to regain some profits from characters like the X-Men, who were now heading up lucrative movie franchises.
Two days before the case was due to reach the Supreme Court last week, Marvel and the Kirby estate managed to come to an agreement. In a joint statement on Friday, they announced that “Marvel and the family of Jack Kirby have amicably resolved their legal disputes, and are looking forward to advancing their shared goal of honoring Mr. Kirby’s significant role in Marvel’s history.”
This legal battle has soured many fans’ relationship with Marvel Comics, as it’s easy to see the Kirby estate as the underdogs to Marvel’s evil empire. But after many unsuccessful attempts to go up against legal teams from Marvel, Disney, Fox, and others, it looks like the Kirby estate has finally gotten at least part of what they’re looking for.
Photo via Suzy Skaar/Wikimedia (CC BY-SA 3.0)
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor