- 2018 belonged to trans people 9 Months Ago
- How to watch local channels on Roku 9 Months Ago
- How to watch Levante vs. Barcelona online for free Today 6:19 AM
- How to watch Liverpool vs. Manchester United online for free Today 6:00 AM
- The best couch co-op video games for couples Today 6:00 AM
- Pete Davidson is OK and at work following alarming Instagram post Saturday 7:26 PM
- Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker doesn’t know how to use a Venn diagram Saturday 5:38 PM
- This college student made a movie trailer to tease her boyfriend, and Twitter can’t get enough (updated) Saturday 3:13 PM
- ‘Kappa Delta Crypto’ aims to break stereotypes in five-minute Snapchat episodes Saturday 2:29 PM
- Two iPhone X customers are suing Apple over screen size Saturday 1:18 PM
- Secretary Ryan Zinke is out at the Department of the Interior Saturday 12:03 PM
- How to watch the New Orleans Bowl online for free Saturday 10:25 AM
- Prada’s racist toys pulled from shelves after social media backlash (updated) Saturday 10:22 AM
- How to watch the Camellia Bowl online for free Saturday 10:00 AM
- How to watch the Las Vegas Bowl online for free Saturday 8:30 AM
This episode fills in some important backstory for ‘Return of the Jedi.’
The Star Wars YouTube series Forces of Destiny is still going strong, filling the gaps between movies. This week’s episode draws a link between The Force Awakens and Return of the Jedi, introducing Leia to the mysterious Maz Kanata (Lupita Nyong’o).
If you ever wondered how Leia devised her plan to save Han from Jabba’s palace, you now have your answer: She asked Maz Kanata for help. This totally makes sense because while Leia is a skilled military commander and politician, she doesn’t really have the same underworld connections as Han. Chewie hooks her up with Maz, who gives Leia the idea of disguising herself as a bounty hunter.
So when Leia sneaks into Jabba’s palace in Return of the Jedi, she isn’t just dressed as any old bounty hunter—she’s disguised as a specific guy. His name is Boussh, and he’s the only Ubese alien in the franchise.
Of course, we still don’t know how Han and Chewie met Maz Kanata in the first place. Could this be something we see in Solo: A Star Wars Story? Lupita Nyong’o wasn’t announced along with the rest of the cast, but there are persistent rumors of a cameo appearance.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.