- How to stream ‘Survivor’ for free 11 Months Ago
- The simple way to connect Apple TV and HomePod 11 Months Ago
- How to watch Juventus vs. Atletico Madrid online for free 11 Months Ago
- Black man films ‘Crosswalk Cathy’ yelling racist slurs at him Tuesday 6:47 PM
- Guerrilla artists turn John Oliver billboard ad into right-wing meme Tuesday 4:20 PM
- Netflix lines up unnecessarily good cast for ‘Green Eggs and Ham’ Tuesday 3:48 PM
- Netflix drops trailer for Mötley Crüe biopic ‘The Dirt’—and the cast is wild Tuesday 3:41 PM
- QAnon’s repetitive posts are alienating even his most ardent supporters Tuesday 3:36 PM
- Noah Cyrus cries on Instagram after Lil Xan’s baby announcement Tuesday 2:26 PM
- The ‘Well yes, but actually no’ meme is here to help you explain things Tuesday 12:07 PM
- Judge orders Roger Stone to appear in court after his Instagram post Tuesday 11:24 AM
- I worked with the migrant caravan—and Trump is the cause of his national emergency Tuesday 11:09 AM
- How to watch Liverpool vs. Bayern Munich online for free Tuesday 11:08 AM
- ‘Patriot Act’ volume 2 proves Hasan Minhaj is the next big star of the news-comedy genre Tuesday 11:01 AM
- ‘Friends From College’ canceled after 2 seasons at Netflix Tuesday 10:53 AM
This episode fills in some important backstory for ‘Return of the Jedi.’
The Star Wars YouTube series Forces of Destiny is still going strong, filling the gaps between movies. This week’s episode draws a link between The Force Awakens and Return of the Jedi, introducing Leia to the mysterious Maz Kanata (Lupita Nyong’o).
If you ever wondered how Leia devised her plan to save Han from Jabba’s palace, you now have your answer: She asked Maz Kanata for help. This totally makes sense because while Leia is a skilled military commander and politician, she doesn’t really have the same underworld connections as Han. Chewie hooks her up with Maz, who gives Leia the idea of disguising herself as a bounty hunter.
So when Leia sneaks into Jabba’s palace in Return of the Jedi, she isn’t just dressed as any old bounty hunter—she’s disguised as a specific guy. His name is Boussh, and he’s the only Ubese alien in the franchise.
Of course, we still don’t know how Han and Chewie met Maz Kanata in the first place. Could this be something we see in Solo: A Star Wars Story? Lupita Nyong’o wasn’t announced along with the rest of the cast, but there are persistent rumors of a cameo appearance.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.