- ‘Joker’ stairs latest Instagram spot; locals joke about potential robberies 4 Years Ago
- PewDiePie banned in China after reacting to Winnie the Pooh memes Today 8:46 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Eagles on Sunday Night Football Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream Chargers vs. Titans in Week 7 Today 6:00 AM
- 13 spooky romance games for adults Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 9 Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Impact Wrestling’s Bound For Glory Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Bills vs. Dolphins in Week 7 Today 4:30 AM
- How to stream Jaguars vs. Bengals in Week 7 Today 4:00 AM
- How to stream Texans vs. Colts in Week 7 Today 3:00 AM
- How to stream Manchester United vs. Liverpool Saturday 10:00 PM
- Man dragged for recording, posting video of neighbor being ‘killed’ instead of helping Saturday 4:14 PM
- How to stream Saints vs. Bears in Week 7 Saturday 3:25 PM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Ravens in Week 7 Saturday 3:25 PM
- Are TikTok teens throwing up gang signs in their videos? Saturday 2:45 PM
Hideo Kojima reportedly leaves Konami to form independent studio
The Metal Gear Solid series creator is moving on.
Japanese financial newspaper Nikkei reports that Kojima officially left Konami on Dec. 15 with the indent of forming his own independent studio with former Konami staff. The news comes after months of rumors that the celebrated game developer was cutting ties with the publisher.
Signs of trouble emerged earlier this year when Konami did some internal restructuring and removed Kojima Productions branding from Metal Gear Solid 5. Later this summer Konami announced that it had canceled the highly anticipated Silent Hills project that was being made by Kojima and horror movie director Guillermo del Toro. In August Nikkei released a blistering report describing the horrendous work conditions at Konami.
Despite mounting corporate unrest, Kojima published Metal Gear Solid 5 on Sept. 1, and it was roundly celebrated by critics as a masterpiece.
Despite the success, Kojima was allowed limited media interactions. He was not present at this year’s Tokyo Game Show and was apparently barred from accepting an award at The Game Awards earlier this month. Host Geoff Keighley publicly shamed Konami and its legal team on stage in front of millions of viewers worldwide.
Kojima had been with Konami since 1986. Nikkei reports Kojima’s new studio will be looking to develop for platforms including Sony Playstation.
Imad Khan is a gaming and esports reporter. His work has been featured on Digital Trends and ESPN.