- People are demanding the man who filmed the killing of Eric Garner be freed with #FreeRamsey Monday 7:36 PM
- Billie Eilish’s ‘Bad Guy’ unseats ‘Old Town Road’ from the No. 1 spot Monday 6:11 PM
- People think Ghislaine Maxwell was Photoshopped in those In-N-Out photos Monday 5:41 PM
- People are transfixed by a TikTok cat dancing along to ‘Mr. Sandman’ Monday 4:52 PM
- Nazi troll pretending to be antifa in Portland gets outed by internet Monday 4:15 PM
- ‘Dear White People’ season 3 reflects the exhaustion of the times—for better or for worse Monday 3:59 PM
- ‘Seinfeld’ and ‘Friends’ fans feud over which sitcom is better Monday 3:57 PM
- Anti-abortion centers are getting around Google’s misinformation policy Monday 3:45 PM
- Twitter, Facebook remove Chinese accounts spreading Hong Kong misinformation Monday 3:41 PM
- ‘Mindhunter’ season 2 offers no happy endings Monday 3:19 PM
- How to watch ‘The Righteous Gemstones’ online Monday 3:03 PM
- ‘Mindhunter’ season 2 brings out the memes Monday 2:59 PM
- Rumor suggests the X-Men might battle the Avengers on-screen Monday 2:54 PM
- The CDC is investigating cases of severe lung damage linked to vaping Monday 2:08 PM
- How to stream the 49ers vs. Broncos on (preseason) Monday Night Football Monday 1:24 PM
10 geeky gift ideas for Valentine’s Day
Whether your geek loves science fiction or math, there’s a gift idea here!
Valentine’s season is the perfect opportunity to let your love know you’ve been paying attention to their favorite fandoms. From video games to nerdy math and science, there’s a one-of-a-kind gift out there for your special someone. Here are 10 geeky ideas to get you started on your search for the perfect gift!
1) Plush Bouquets
A bouquet of beautiful flowers can be a nice present for your valentine, but you know what would be even better? A bouquet of adorable plushies! ThinkGeek offers a range of plush bouquets for you to choose from so you can find just the right one. Star Wars fans in particular have more choices here, as the company sells three types of bouquets inspired by the franchise. You can choose from a droids assortment, Imperial assortment, or a bouquet with a mix of characters. Beyond Star Wars, they might enjoy bouquets with kittens, puppies, dinosaurs, unicorns, or soft kitties from The Big Bang Theory. Flowers may wilt, but these irresistible plushies won’t!
2) Pride and Prejudice and Zombies Lingerie
Let your valentine know you think they’re a strong, sexy zombie slayer with a gift from Hot Topic‘s new Pride and Prejudice and Zombies lingerie collection. Inspired by the recently released movie, these pieces feature great details with zombie prints and patterns incorporated into each style. We’re sure your valentine’s heart will beat faster at seeing the undead on these items!
3) Amulet of Mara
This amulet from the video game The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim features the symbol of the goddess of love Mara. In the game, players who acquire the amulet will open up a marriage dialogue with non-player characters. While you might not want to propose to your valentine just yet, giving them this romantic amulet will show them just how much you care. For those that do want to propose to the gamer in their life, this amulet presents a clever and geeky way to do so. You won’t be the first fan to use it for that purpose, but it will certainly make the moment memorable!
4) Geeky Cards
While the gift you get is important, so is the card you select! Go the extra mile with your card and make sure it’s geeky too. For a variety of options inspired by different fandoms, sites like Etsy and Redbubble are worth a look. Does your valentine love Star Trek? Get them a Riker card! Are they always singing songs from the hit musical Hamilton? Choose a card featuring their favorite lyric! We have no doubt you can find a card for them no matter their interest!
5) Deadpool Movie
If you want to give your special someone a gift that won’t take up precious space, give them a special experience instead! Take them on a date to see the Deadpool movie, which will be released just in time for the holiday on Feb. 12. Sure, there’ll be no shortage of juvenile humor, but there’ll also be a lot of romantic red in this film, as the anti-hero fights for love, breaks the fourth wall, and makes you smile. Nothing says ‘I love you’ like leaving a trail of bodies in your wake.
6) Weighted Companion Cube Plush
Portal fans will love to have their very own weighted companion cube plush to keep them company and help them finish any difficult tasks. Complete with pink hearts, this cube might not appear to speak, but you never know! Your valentine might just get lucky and hear it whisper those three little words.
7) Love Equation Keychain
Make your present a bit more mathematical with a love equation keychain from Lark and Juniper. While you can choose what to put on these two tags, you can also leave them with the romantic equations pictured above. Just cover the equation with the top tag and it will reveal the “I love you” message.
8) Han Solo and Princess Leia Bracelet
A photo posted by 80sTees.com (@80stees) on
Han Solo and Princess Leia might just be the most romantic geeky couple in the galaxy. So there’s no better way to express your affection than with a Star Wars bracelet bearing the immortal words, “I love you.” “I know.” Those five words have become totally iconic over the years, which makes them the perfect statement to give to your own scruffy-looking nerf herder.
9) Monthly Subscription Box
Give a gift that will keep on giving throughout the year, or at least for a month or two, by buying a subscription to a geeky monthly box! You have quite a few brands and distributors to choose from, so you’re bound to find an option that will interest your significant other. You can find boxes that focus on fandom and specific fandoms, Star Wars, science, video games, and pop culture boxes that include a variety of items like Loot Crate and Nerd Block.
10) Periodic Table Mugs
Use the elements to send a scientific message of love with the help of these ceramic mugs from Etsy shop Neurons Not Included. Use Lutetium, Vanadium, and Uranium to say “I love you” or let them know that being together is just elemental! Neurons Not Included has other scientific gifts you can consider as well, like a binary heart mousepad and a heart monitor cuff bracelet.
Photo via ThinkGeek
Lisa Granshaw reports on pop culture and geek fashion and is the founder of GeekFold. You can find her work on Syfy, Boing Boing, and Geek and Sundry.