- Would you buy a Popeyes chicken sandwich from Quavo for $1,000? 3 Years Ago
- Someone set up a Spider-Man memorial outside D23 Expo Today 2:15 PM
- A$AP Rocky just isn’t texting Trump back Today 1:24 PM
- Hong Kong protesters knock down alleged ‘facial recognition tower’ Today 12:35 PM
- PewDiePie becomes the first YouTuber to hit 100 million subscribers Today 11:35 AM
- ‘Breaking Bad’ movie will show us what happened to Jesse Pinkman Today 9:39 AM
- How to stream ROH Wrestling’s Honor For All Today 7:30 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Titans in NFL preseason action Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Good Eats: The Return’ online Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6 Today 6:00 AM
- Your best bets for finding discounted and refurbished Airpods Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Real Betis Saturday 11:31 PM
- How to stream Tottenham Hotspur vs. Newcastle Saturday 11:21 PM
- All of the ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Easter eggs discovered by fans Saturday 6:52 PM
- Every big announcement made at D23 about Disney+ Saturday 6:33 PM
Growing up, I didn’t watch the same movies or TV shows other kids did. While most of you were watching Goonies and playing Metroid, I was watching sports films and playing with an abacus. My mother was not born in the U.S., and my dad was an athlete who wasn’t into science fiction.
So here I am: 32 with huge gaps in my geek knowledge. The best thing to do with this pop culture deficit? Launch a YouTube show, of course.
We are excited to introduce The Geek Awakens! Every week, I’ll experience a piece of iconic geek history for the first time, and I want you to come with me. If you like nostalgia and laughing, watch the first three episodes right here:
There are three rules for owning a mogwai, but please don’t tell me how to live my life.
My geek friends told me I have to watch Blade Runner, and I was like, “Harrison Ford and Daryl Hannah? Awesome, I love rom-coms!”
We hope you enjoy the new show. Subscribe to our YouTube channel so you never miss an episode. Or, if you’re more of a Facebook person, like The Geek Awakens Facebook page. We’ll publish all new episodes there too, along with behind-the-scenes photos, updates, and surprises. We love hearing from you, so be sure to leave us a comment wherever you watch.
What should I watch, play, or read next? What do you like about the show? What should we change?
Help me Internet. You’re my only hope.
Aly Keves is a former Realtime Social Editor at the Daily Dot. While most of her time was spent on Twitter, she made time to write about 'The Bachelor,' adorable videos, and 'The Golden Girls.' She lives in New York City and became Bloomberg's Audience Engagement Editor in 2016.