- What you need to know about Google’s ‘quantum supremacy’ claim Wednesday 11:48 PM
- Workers claim Google made spy tool to prevent them from organizing Wednesday 8:13 PM
- Hailey Bieber denies shading Selena Gomez with ‘I’ll Kill You’ Instagram post Wednesday 7:46 PM
- Trump signed an ego tweet sheet for Tomi Lahren–and it features conspiracy theorists Wednesday 6:59 PM
- Attorneys say ICE deleted evidence pertaining to transgender asylum seeker’s death Wednesday 6:24 PM
- Everything you need to know about VSCO filter codes Wednesday 6:17 PM
- Are users prepared to pay for Gmail storage space? Wednesday 6:09 PM
- Facebook pledges $1 billion to fight housing crisis it helped create Wednesday 5:16 PM
- Lizzo officially credits ‘DNA test’ tweet writer on ‘Truth Hurts’ Wednesday 4:50 PM
- Pornhub takes down videos secretly filmed in a college women’s locker room Wednesday 4:15 PM
- Google Maps on iPhone now shows you speed traps Wednesday 3:47 PM
- Here’s why you’re seeing ‘rise and shine’ all over social media Wednesday 3:45 PM
- AOC grills Zuckerberg over false political ads on Facebook Wednesday 3:27 PM
- Fox News promotes pro-faith, anti-antifa film ‘The Reliant’ Wednesday 3:17 PM
- Cardi B to star in ‘Fast & Furious 9’ Wednesday 3:12 PM
Growing up, I didn’t watch the same movies or TV shows other kids did. While most of you were watching Goonies and playing Metroid, I was watching sports films and playing with an abacus. My mother was not born in the U.S., and my dad was an athlete who wasn’t into science fiction.
So here I am: 32 with huge gaps in my geek knowledge. The best thing to do with this pop culture deficit? Launch a YouTube show, of course.
We are excited to introduce The Geek Awakens! Every week, I’ll experience a piece of iconic geek history for the first time, and I want you to come with me. If you like nostalgia and laughing, watch the first three episodes right here:
There are three rules for owning a mogwai, but please don’t tell me how to live my life.
My geek friends told me I have to watch Blade Runner, and I was like, “Harrison Ford and Daryl Hannah? Awesome, I love rom-coms!”
We hope you enjoy the new show. Subscribe to our YouTube channel so you never miss an episode. Or, if you’re more of a Facebook person, like The Geek Awakens Facebook page. We’ll publish all new episodes there too, along with behind-the-scenes photos, updates, and surprises. We love hearing from you, so be sure to leave us a comment wherever you watch.
What should I watch, play, or read next? What do you like about the show? What should we change?
Help me Internet. You’re my only hope.
Aly Keves is a former Realtime Social Editor at the Daily Dot. While most of her time was spent on Twitter, she made time to write about 'The Bachelor,' adorable videos, and 'The Golden Girls.' She lives in New York City and became Bloomberg's Audience Engagement Editor in 2016.