- How to prepare for your fantasy football draft (and season) 4 Years Ago
- Kit Harington is joining the MCU–and people are guessing which character he will play 4 Years Ago
- How to live stream Juan Francisco Estrada vs. Dewayne Beamon Today 8:00 AM
- The 5 best free torrent clients you can download in 2019 Today 8:00 AM
- How to stream Saints vs. Jets in NFL preseason action Today 7:49 AM
- How to stream Chiefs vs. 49ers in NFL preseason action Today 7:36 AM
- How to live stream Bellator 225: Mitrione vs. Kharitonov Today 7:30 AM
- Alice Wetterlund draws insight from the last decade in ‘My Mama Is a Human and So Am I’ Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream the Cowboys vs. Texans NFL preseason showdown Today 7:00 AM
- How ‘Stranger Things’ is inspiring new waves of Dungeons and Dragons fans Today 6:00 AM
- Why you should be watching ‘Red vs Blue’ on Netflix Today 6:00 AM
- How to live stream Sergey Kovalev vs. Anthony Yarde Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Real Valladolid Friday 10:44 PM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Arsenal Friday 10:28 PM
- How to stream Manchester United vs. Crystal Palace Friday 10:05 PM
Fans rejoice over the ‘Star Wars’ musical team-up with ‘Hamilton’ using #Force4Ham
Twitter has its eyes on you.
Members of both Hamilton and Star Wars fandoms spent this morning erupting over the news that composer Lin-Manuel Miranda had joined forces with J.J. Abrams to write cantina music for The Force Awakens.
Pairing Miranda, a MacArthur fellow and Pulitzer nominee, with an intergalactic space rebellion might not seem like a natural fit, but as the inevitable resulting hashtag #Force4Ham is currently proving, Star Wars and Hamilton, a hip-hop musical about the founding fathers, actually work perfectly together:
And when you think about it, it’s easy to see why. Both stories are narratives of plucky outsiders with hidden talents and lowly beginnings joining a haphazard, struggling group of rebels fighting for independence. Sure, one of these fights happened in America in 1776 and the other one happened a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away—but beneath the surface, Star Wars and Hamilton are practically soulmates.
There’s the fighting:
The love stories:
And, of course, there are all the character parallels—and all the drama that goes with them:
There are moments when the meme gets meta—and even better:
But as brilliant as all this is, #Force4Ham is even better when it goes in the other direction:
Though the “X4Ham” meme might be new to Star Wars fans, the Hamilton fandom has made a habit of applying Hamilton lyrics to the rest of the world since last month’s popular trend #ParksandHam, quickly followed by #Cap4Ham, because why not pair Hamilton with the Avengers?
But #Force4Ham is already bigger than either of them—proving just how much energy there is in each fandom at what might be their peak moments. After all:
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.