- Exposé about Bernie staffer’s Twitter leads to his firing—and an online class war 6 Years Ago
- Netflix adds Top 10 feature to showcase what’s popular 6 Years Ago
- YouTube permanently bans ‘news’ channel that said impeachment was ‘Jew coup’ 6 Years Ago
- FIFA pro banned from all EA games following threatening rant 6 Years Ago
- Lucasfilm announces new franchise of ‘Star Wars’ tie-in books and comics Today 9:33 AM
- YouTube yanks revenue from controversial star who faked his girlfriend’s death Today 9:26 AM
- Facebook can ignore misleading political ads. This Democrat wants to change that Today 9:08 AM
- How to watch tonight’s South Carolina 2020 Democratic presidential debate Today 8:41 AM
- What exactly is ‘too adult’ for Disney+? Today 7:02 AM
- How tall is Michael Bloomberg? Today 6:30 AM
- The ’24 hours to respond’ meme holds celebrities to a higher standard Monday 8:46 PM
- Twitter users miss the kids who walked in on their dad’s interview Monday 8:40 PM
- ‘The Thing About Men’ Twitter hashtag is full of sarcasm and misogyny Monday 7:27 PM
- This woman said Hillary Clinton losing the 2016 election gave her PTSD, and people are furious Monday 6:45 PM
- Vanessa Bryant files a lawsuit against helicopter company after deaths of Kobe and Gianna Monday 5:49 PM
Fans swarm to ‘Firefly Online’ as new gameplay trailer drops
After years of waiting for something new, ‘Firefly’ fans are thrilled for this cast-voiced game.
For the first time in years, San Diego Comic-Con has brought us some major Firefly news. Not only is the Firefly MMO game almost ready to go, but the original cast will be reprising their roles for some voice acting work.
Firefly Online also released its first gameplay trailer, which focuses on the show’s fanbase. Various fans talk about what they’d do if they were captain of a Serenity-style spaceship, playing up the Sims-like angle of designing your avatar and spaceship in the game. It looks like Firefly Online is targeting Firefly fans rather than a wider audience of serious gamers, emphasising how players can explore the Firefly universe.
Gaming sites seem to be turning their noses up at this trailer, but that isn’t harming its popularity. The Firefly Online signup site is already down thanks to the massive volume of browncoats wanting an early look at the game, and the return of the show’s main cast is obviously a major draw.
Every year, the idea of a “real” Firefly reunion seems less and less likely, so things like Firefly Online will always be accepted with open arms. Joss Whedon wasn’t involved with this particular project, but it looks like the actors are still just as invested in Firefly as ever.
Photo via serenityscaptain/Tumblr
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor