- There are apparently ASMR videos for role-playing with a fictional boyfriend 4 Years Ago
- Let’s take a look at Captain Pike’s Starfleet service record in ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Today 8:25 AM
- How to watch Demetrius Andrade vs. Artur Akavov for free Today 7:00 AM
- Ariana Grande’s new single ‘7 Rings’ has Twitter feeling broke Today 6:30 AM
- The end of an era: RIP, Critique My Dick Pic Today 6:30 AM
- Mastodon is crumbling—and many blame its creator Today 6:00 AM
- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ hints at Spock’s new role in the season 2 premiere Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Rachel Maddow’ online for free Today 5:30 AM
- Guy who wants to fund the border wall has privately raised $7 million Thursday 8:41 PM
- Mortal Kombat 11 trailer delights fans with gory fatalities, new characters Thursday 5:46 PM
- What you need to know about the data breach involving 773 email addresses Thursday 5:13 PM
- Senators fear government shutdown may affect FTC investigation of Facebook Thursday 3:43 PM
- Buy beer for a furloughed government worker with this new website Thursday 3:19 PM
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is teaching Congress how to tweet Thursday 2:42 PM
- Congressmen held genetics meeting with Chuck Johnson, despite his past racist claims about genetics Thursday 2:26 PM
Fans swarm to ‘Firefly Online’ as new gameplay trailer drops
After years of waiting for something new, ‘Firefly’ fans are thrilled for this cast-voiced game.
For the first time in years, San Diego Comic-Con has brought us some major Firefly news. Not only is the Firefly MMO game almost ready to go, but the original cast will be reprising their roles for some voice acting work.
Firefly Online also released its first gameplay trailer, which focuses on the show’s fanbase. Various fans talk about what they’d do if they were captain of a Serenity-style spaceship, playing up the Sims-like angle of designing your avatar and spaceship in the game. It looks like Firefly Online is targeting Firefly fans rather than a wider audience of serious gamers, emphasising how players can explore the Firefly universe.
Gaming sites seem to be turning their noses up at this trailer, but that isn’t harming its popularity. The Firefly Online signup site is already down thanks to the massive volume of browncoats wanting an early look at the game, and the return of the show’s main cast is obviously a major draw.
Every year, the idea of a “real” Firefly reunion seems less and less likely, so things like Firefly Online will always be accepted with open arms. Joss Whedon wasn’t involved with this particular project, but it looks like the actors are still just as invested in Firefly as ever.
Photo via serenityscaptain/Tumblr
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.