- HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ and the fantasy of competence 5 Years Ago
- Cómo ver Kamaru Usman vs. Colby Covington en el UFC 245 Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
- Why Britons are tweeting ‘Little England’ in wake of the U.K. election Friday 3:22 PM
- Net neutrality advocates ask for rehearing on federal court decision Friday 2:29 PM
- Americans are sharing their #PrivateHealthLIFEhacks to help Brits Friday 2:28 PM
- Warren, Sanders, Yang pledge to skip next week’s debate over union dispute Friday 2:12 PM
- How to watch tonight’s Nets vs. Raptors matchup on NBA TV Friday 2:00 PM
- Alt-right comedian Owen Benjamin banned from Instagram over anti-Semitic memes Friday 1:55 PM
- TikTok teens are procrastinating with #FinalsWeek Friday 1:46 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ takes on a prison break in episode 6 Friday 1:30 PM
- Nick Cannon vs. Eminem battle expected to escalate after ‘off-limits’ daughter diss Friday 12:50 PM
- Laura Loomer vehemently denies being author of new Laura Loomer-themed action novel Friday 12:30 PM
- PewDiePie’s poop-inspired game gets banned by Apple Friday 11:29 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ showrunners to adapt ‘Lovecraft’ graphic novel to screen Friday 11:00 AM
Emma Watson will play Belle in Disney’s live-action ‘Beauty and the Beast’ remake
Now if we can only get Tom Felton to star as the Beast.
But it’s her newly-announced role as Belle in Disney’s upcoming Beauty and the Beast remake that could have the biggest impact on women around the world.
That’s right. Our real-life Hermione will be stepping into one of the film pantheon’s other great roles for girls who love books, magic, and adventure. And she’ll be doing it with a script penned by an unlikely writer: Stephen Chbosky, whose film adaptation of his Young Adult novel Perks of Being a Wallflower earned Watson considerable critical acclaim in 2012.
Fans immediately approved the casting, trending congratulations worldwide.
As every Disney fan knows, Belle is an unapologetic bookworm whose spirited independence wins the heart of the Beast. While the acclaimed animated musical has some rather unfortunate takeaways about how to get a woman to fall in love with you (hint: It’s not to Stockholm her by keeping her locked in your enchanted castle), the story has remained a beloved classic because of its wonderful characters, gorgeous animation, great score, and, oh, yeah, Gaston.
I’m finally able to tell you… that I will be playing Belle in Disney’s new live-action Beauty and the Beast! It was such a big part of my growing up, it almost feels surreal that I’ll get to dance to ‘Be Our Guest’ and sing ‘Something There’. My six year old self is on the ceiling – heart bursting. Time to start some singing lessons. I can’t wait for you to see it. Emma xx
We’ve never heard Watson sing before, apart from her gorgeous background vocals on Ben Hammersley’s “Pantomime” (her part starts around 2:05). But we’re down for it. The Wrap reports Disney and director Bill Condon (Breaking Dawn 1–2) started courting Watson as soon as they started planning the film.
We can’t blame them, since we’re pretty sure there’s nothing Watson can’t pull off. After all, she is the cleverest witch of her age.
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.