- Who is Corn Pop? Here are all the theories about the gang leader from Joe Biden’s past Sunday 4:37 PM
- Fresh sexual misconduct allegations against Kavanaugh spur calls for impeachment Sunday 3:28 PM
- Mike Pence says a triple crown winning racehorse bit him Sunday 12:51 PM
- Disney CEO Bob Iger leaves Apple board amid streaming wars Sunday 12:01 PM
- Influencer Destiny Marquez faces backlash for berating Forever 21 employee Sunday 10:32 AM
- Chelsea Handler tackles system racism in ‘Hello Privilege. It’s Me, Chelsea’ Sunday 9:18 AM
- Gun control proposal: Trump, lawmakers considering background check-conducting app Sunday 9:05 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Jets on Monday Night Football Sunday 7:00 AM
- What are anons? Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Eagles vs. Falcons on Sunday Night Football Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 4 Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to stream WWE’s Clash of Champions 2019 Saturday 8:00 PM
- How ‘F*ck off Scotland’ became a Scottish rallying cry amid Brexit madness Saturday 6:28 PM
- A Missouri officer resigned after his Islamophobic Facebook posts surfaced Saturday 5:08 PM
- Adding ‘Triggered’ to stock photos of white men creates Netflix comedy special thumbnails Saturday 3:10 PM
Election season in Odessa, Ukraine is getting weird. Real weird.
Ukraine’s Internet Party is best known for its high-profile mayoral candidate Darth Vader (yes, that’s his legal name), who campaigns by dressing in a Vader costume and blasting the Imperial March as his theme music. One of his best publicity stunts took place on Friday, when he unveiled a statue of Lenin that had been modified to look like the Sith Lord.
Because this was the work of the Internet Party, the Vader statue also provided a public service as a Wi-Fi router. Truly, they’re putting most joke candidates to shame.
Ukraine’s local elections took place on Sunday, and you probably won’t be shocked to hear that the Internet Party has drawn attention to themselves once again. This time, the star of the show was Chewbacca.
Photos posted by Twitter user @kh_reader show a person in a Chewbacca costume being arrested by a team of Ukrainian police. Apparently, Chewie and Darth Vader fell foul of Ukrainian election law by causing a disruption and blocking the road near a local polling station.
Chewie has since been released, but not before appearing in one of the best arrest photos we’ve ever seen.
Photo via @kh_reader/Twitter
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor