- How to watch ‘Charmed’ online for free 7 Months Ago
- How to watch Patriots vs. Chiefs online for free Today 8:15 AM
- This is the ‘Star Wars’ VR experience you’re looking for Today 8:00 AM
- ‘Salt Fat Acid Heat’ takes viewers on a journey through the four building blocks of a great dish Today 7:00 AM
- How to tell the deep web from the dark web Today 7:00 AM
- How to watch the Saints vs. Rams online for free Today 6:15 AM
- How to watch ‘Supergirl’ online for free Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream the NFL conference championship games Today 5:00 AM
- How to watch Barcelona vs. Leganes online for free Today 1:00 AM
- Daily Stormer founder to turn over personal, financial information in lawsuit Saturday 8:51 PM
- Ariana Grande’s ‘7 Rings’ courts controversy Saturday 6:19 PM
- Crowd of MAGA teens attempts to intimidate Native American protester Saturday 4:13 PM
- ‘Generously buttered noodles’ is the bizarre, wholesome meme you didn’t know you needed Saturday 2:07 PM
- All of Machinima’s YouTube videos are gone, stunning creators and fans (updated) Saturday 1:14 PM
- Photo of federal workers conjures Great Depression Saturday 12:24 PM
Trump’s proclamation decrying America’s history of slavery falls extremely flat
Gage Skidmore/Flickr (CC-BY-SA)
Let’s just say his praise of equality rings a little hollow.
Any day is a good day to criticize America’s history of slavery and to support African Americans celebrating their emancipation. But maybe (just maybe!) doing so falls a little flat if you’ve spent the past month indiscriminatingly incarcerating children of color.
Today is Juneteenth Day, a day African Americans chose to celebrate their emancipation. The White House Twitter account issued a statement from the president this morning, praising emancipation and reiterating a popular phrase from the Declaration of Independence.
As a Nation, we vow to never forget the millions of African Americans who suffered the evils of slavery. Together, we honor the unbreakable spirit and countless contributions of generations of African Americans to the story of American greatness. Today and every day, we recommit ourselves to defending the self-evident truth, boldly declared by our Founding Fathers, that all people are created equal.
The Founding Fathers, as we now know, were exclusively white, and it took this nation another 200 years to extend the promise of equality made in that document to African Americans.
And it’s one we routinely fail to live up too, especially this month, when President Donald Trump and his associates ordered a “zero tolerance” policy for people attempting to immigrate into the nation.
Are you really recommitting yourself to “defending the self-evident truth, boldly declared by our Founding Fathers, that all people are created equal”?
Maybe not, you know?
Our govt spits out this disingenuous garbage, "all people are created equal", while creating the most xenophobic policies in a long time. Today is cancelled. https://t.co/17JBOeJwkB
— Sam Chamberlin (@sammychammy) June 19, 2018
Unless they're seeking asylum. https://t.co/cQawWAkHNL
— John (@benbrookjohn) June 19, 2018
*unless they're brown https://t.co/AK8XS0bopE
— Eric (@ericeatsout) June 19, 2018
Except, of course, those children who we feel should be separated from their families and thrown into cages due to their choice of being born on the wrong side of a river. #SeperatingFamilies https://t.co/tVRK4FqEUX
— Antonio Alfonso, Jr. (@TonyzTone) June 19, 2018
This White House has zero shame. https://t.co/4Eevuc8HK9
— rdowns (@rdowns) June 19, 2018
except migrant children fleeing for their very lives
those people aren't equal apparently https://t.co/2PVWkMdtHT
— Jay Adam (@tuesjay) June 19, 2018
Except kids in cages on the border.
Not quite equal. https://t.co/DDEtqoyp93
— stephen matlock (@stephenmatlock) June 19, 2018
— Dan Doherty (@ddohertyjr) June 19, 2018
There’s also the reminder that the president is a birther.
OK, maybe it rings A LOT hollow.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]