- Twitter lifts ‘permanent’ suspension of activist Barrett Brown Monday 5:52 PM
- Billie Eilish fans fend off objectifying comments on tank top photo Monday 5:32 PM
- Groom’s mother sabotages wedding by tricking guests into wearing jorts and hoodies Monday 4:39 PM
- No one believes Bill de Blasio’s son sent him these debate prep texts Monday 3:26 PM
- Meek Mill, Jay-Z to release ‘Free Meek’ documentary on Amazon Prime Monday 3:20 PM
- 3 ways to secure your Nest cameras Monday 3:15 PM
- This Pokémon generator site is creating hilarious monsters Monday 2:48 PM
- MrBeast impersonator tricks kid into destroying his XBox Monday 12:50 PM
- This mom has the perfect nickname for her nonbinary kid Monday 12:25 PM
- Netflix tests pop-out player that will allow viewers to multitask Monday 11:44 AM
- Man allowed to sue media publishers over readers’ Facebook comments Monday 11:42 AM
- Republicans slammed for joke about ‘heavily armed militia’ at Oregon statehouse Monday 11:30 AM
- New bill wants tech companies to tell you how much your data is worth Monday 10:53 AM
- AOC has the best response to Steve King’s ‘concentration camp’ criticism Monday 10:19 AM
- Did Jake Paul and Tana Mongeau just get engaged? Monday 9:26 AM
International tensions flare over Miss Israel’s selfie with Miss Lebanon
The conflict between the two nations even made its way to the Miss Universe pageant.
The Miss Universe contestants are currently in Miami preparing for the pageant, which airs Jan. 25, and when they aren’t competing or making promotional content, they may have a moment or two to relax and keep their fans entertained with behind-the-scenes photos. Last week, Miss Israel Doron Matalon posted a seemingly innocent photo of herself, Greige, and contestants from Slovenia and Japan.
Good morning from us! Miss Japan , miss Slovenia, miss Lebanon & I ❤️ @missunews @missuniverse @beautyschoolbs @belezasdouniverso @missuniversusa @miss_israel #miami #mu2014 #missisrael #loveisrael #MissIsraelUniverse #missuniversemiami
A photo posted by Doron Matalon (@doronmatalon_official) on
Greige quickly drew criticism from people in Lebanon for the photo not because of her appearance, but because she was in the photo with Matalon. According to Lebanese newspaper The Daily Star, contact with anyone from Israel is illegal because the two countries are “enemy states” and have been at war since 2006. Some called for her to lose her title of Miss Lebanon because she had associated herself with someone from Israel.
After the controversy bubbled in Lebanon for days, Greige finally spoke out about the photo. Posting a version of the selfie with Matalon noticeably cropped out, she explained that she was photobombed after she avoided any contact with Matalon for the duration of the competition, despite attempts to take a photo with her.
“I was having a photo with Miss Japan, Miss Slovenia and myself; suddenly Miss Israel jumped in, took a selfie, and put it on her social media,” Greige wrote as she thanked her supporters.
To all my supporters and Lebanese citizens, I would like to thank you indeed for your continuous support of Miss Lebanon at the Miss Universe contest… The truth behind the photo, since the first day of my arrival to participate to Miss universe,I was very cautious to avoid being in any photo or communication with Miss isreal, who tried several times to take a photo with me. I was having a photo with Miss Japan, Miss Slovenia, suddenly Miss Israel jumped in and took a selfie, and uploaded it on her social media. This is what happened and I hope to have your full support in the Miss Universe contest
A photo posted by Saly Greige (@salygreige_official) on
Matalon, on the other hand, didn’t back down from the photo and lamented that the hostile relationship between Israel and Lebanon couldn’t be put aside for a few weeks while women from around the world gathered together in one place.
“It doesn’t surprise me, but it makes me sad,” she wrote.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.