- ‘Christmas With My Father’: Generational tension, without the tension 5 Years Ago
- New ‘Rise of Skywalker’ clip includes a possible spoiler about Palpatine Today 7:16 AM
- Teens keep trolling Florida’s new school safety app Today 6:30 AM
- What is the TikTok drink and can you still get it? Thursday 9:27 PM
- ‘Party, Party, Party’ TikTok meme grapples with party culture Thursday 8:43 PM
- Baby Yoda was just added to Sims 4 Thursday 7:54 PM
- Religious conservatives petition Netflix to pull ‘gay Jesus’ Christmas comedy Thursday 7:19 PM
- Kylie Jenner criticized for yet another expensive car post Thursday 5:57 PM
- Apex Legends became a major Pornhub search in 2019 Thursday 5:15 PM
- CBS accidentally interviewed InfoWars host as regular Trump supporter Thursday 4:31 PM
- TLC accused of fatphobia, fetishization with show about ‘mixed-weight’ couples Thursday 3:41 PM
- Betting odds show KSI could fight FaZe Sensei, Jake Paul, or Justin Bieber next Thursday 3:20 PM
- Nick Cannon releases another thirsty Eminem diss track Thursday 2:59 PM
- Dogs at polling stations are helping bark out the vote in the U.K. Thursday 1:00 PM
- Streamers dominated Pornhub searches in 2019 Thursday 12:59 PM
Obama takes over ‘Colbert Report’ and turns ‘The Word’ into ‘The Decree’
Things got presidential as ‘The Word’ became ‘The Decree.’
On the surface, Barack Obama and Stephen Colbert might seem at odds with one another. One’s the leader of the free world while the other is a highly satirical late night host who lampoons the former’s actions. Yet, these two have more in common than you think. Both are in their 50s, got their careers started in Chicago, and are leaving their respective posts soon.
Perhaps those kinships are what made Obama such a great stand-in for Colbert Monday night as the President unsanctimoniously usurped “The Word” segment of the Report. Though he was previously announced as a guest for one of Colbert’s final shows, an early entrance by Obama brought the crowd to its feet and left the host speechless. POTUS all but issued a presidential order when it came to taking the host’s chair and turning “The Word” into “The Decree.”
After the crowd quieted, Obama launched into a ultra-meta take on healthcare that was punctuated by jokes about Grumpy Cat, healthcare.gov, and millennials who hate LinkedIn. The whole thing is so brilliant that we don’t want to spoil it by writing too much, so just take a peek.
We hope Obama has already put the Colbert Report writers on retainer for the next White House Correspondents’ Association dinner, because these jokes coupled with his delivery are a smash hit.
Screengrab via ComedyCentral/YouTube
Greg Seals is a former social media producer and contributing writer for the Daily Dot. He specializes in creating and covering viral content on platforms that include Tumblr, Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter.