- The best gear and gadget gifts for Dad this holiday season Today 7:30 AM
- The 10 most important sci-fi films of the 2010s Today 7:00 AM
- Netflix advances beyond testosterone-fueled anime with subdued ‘Levius’ Today 6:00 AM
- Influencer accused of selling shirt she was supposed to promote Tuesday 8:42 PM
- Jameela Jamil dragged for comparing reproductive rights to landlord rights Tuesday 6:54 PM
- Trump campaign posts Thanos meme, totally misses point of ‘Endgame’ Tuesday 5:58 PM
- Petition calls for Apple to make a Baby Yoda emoji Tuesday 5:16 PM
- This BTS-Billie Eilish mashup is the most popular tweet of 2019 Tuesday 4:51 PM
- Michelle Wolf embraces vulgarity in ‘Joke Show’ Tuesday 4:24 PM
- Influencer gets 14 years in prison for trying to steal domain name at gunpoint Tuesday 4:14 PM
- ‘Three Days of Christmas’ is a delightfully dark holiday alternative to Hallmark Tuesday 3:55 PM
- The way Trump Jr. holds his own book inspires mockery Tuesday 3:47 PM
- Woman facing backlash for no longer wearing hijab in end of the decade photo Tuesday 3:16 PM
- Report: Consulting firm lied about decreasing violence at Rikers Island jail Tuesday 2:36 PM
- TikTok users are sharing things they thought were ‘ghetto’ as kids Tuesday 2:31 PM
A Missouri state representative beheaded a live chicken in a Facebook video explaining his latest anti-abortion bill.
In the video, which is extremely low quality, Missouri Republican Mike Moon cuts the head off of a chicken and cleans the guts out of the animal as he talks about God giving man “dominion over life.”
As he continues to pluck the feathers and heart out of the chicken, Moon says:
“I think we need to get to the heart of the matter here,” Moon says, holding the chicken heart. “So today, I’m filing a bill that will lead to the stopping of abortion in the state of Missouri and I hope you’ll support it.”
Moon’s bill, the “Missouri Right to Life Act” would codify that “personhood begins at conception and unborn children are people.”
The video received swift reactions from pro-choice groups and people who commented on Moon’s video—which was posted on his Facebook page.
“Mike Moon has gotten pretty cocky when it comes to introducing bills that have nothing to do with helping the people he represents and everything to do with pushing his extreme ideological agenda,” NARAL Pro-Choice America wrote in a statement.
People watching the bizarre video—which was posted on June 12—also didn’t see a connection between beheading a chicken and abortion.
“This is… a piss poor attempt at making a point. Huge differences between this and abortion. 10 minutes ago I thought that was pretty obvious…” one person wrote.
“You are a disgusting man,” another person wrote. “You have demonstrated that you have no regard for animals or women through your brutal video and persistent rants.”
One person seemed to think the video was indicative of something much bigger than a man promoting his anti-abortion bill.
“Is this a clear reflection of the intelligence level of American State representatives?” they wrote.
If you want to watch the video, you can see it here.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).