- FBI raided millionaire YouTuber’s home, allegedly took everything Thursday 6:55 PM
- A fake Labour party website is spreading disinformation in Britain Thursday 6:16 PM
- Twitter bans cricket club for posting ISIS content in apparent hack Thursday 6:12 PM
- This dad remade his daughter’s NSFW photo—and people are loving it Thursday 5:51 PM
- Teen allegedly posted ‘slave for sale’ Craigslist ad featuring his Black classmate Thursday 5:28 PM
- People are crushed that this teen love story might be a TikTok ‘joke’ Thursday 4:50 PM
- Is Jacob Wohl evading his Twitter ban with Jack Burkman’s account? Thursday 2:06 PM
- Biden’s most perplexing debate answers, explained Thursday 2:03 PM
- How to stream Colts vs. Texans on Thursday Night Football Thursday 12:52 PM
- Netflix drops ‘A Christmas Prince: The Royal Baby’ trailer Thursday 12:43 PM
- Uber says it will audio-record rides to address safety concerns Thursday 12:41 PM
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ writers go in-depth on how they decided which superheroes lived and died Thursday 12:22 PM
- How to watch Duke vs. Cal in the 2K Empire classic Thursday 12:09 PM
- Trump’s impeachment notes get riffed into punk songs Thursday 12:01 PM
- Pete Buttigieg can’t do the Pete Buttigieg dance Thursday 11:55 AM
Stop me if you’ve heard this one before: A caravan of immigrants is on its way to the United States, and if the few thousand people in it reach our border, it will tear apart the fabric of America.
I am watching the Democrat Party led (because they want Open Borders and existing weak laws) assault on our country by Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador, whose leaders are doing little to stop this large flow of people, INCLUDING MANY CRIMINALS, from entering Mexico to U.S.....— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 18, 2018
....In addition to stopping all payments to these countries, which seem to have almost no control over their population, I must, in the strongest of terms, ask Mexico to stop this onslaught - and if unable to do so I will call up the U.S. Military and CLOSE OUR SOUTHERN BORDER!..— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 18, 2018
If you remember that as an extremely hyped up but really inconsequential existential threat that utterly fizzled out, you’d be right. In May, a caravan of migrants approached the United States, they were denied entry, and that was … that. Far as anyone can tell, the general institution known as America has remained.
So why is this exact same situation, which was resolved relatively easily (at least from a Trumpian, anti-immigrant standpoint), suddenly a doomsday scenario for Republicans?
Couldn’t have anything to do with an election approaching.
On Fox & Friends, GOP elder statesman Newt Gingrich said as much, noting that: “Two words will define the 2018 election – Kavanaugh and caravan.”
If it seems just a tad coincidental that a caravan of migrants is approaching the southern border and could rip America apart before the election, well, Rep. Matt Gaetz has a theory that will blow your mind.
It’s not a coincidence at all.
BREAKING: Footage in Honduras giving cash 2 women & children 2 join the caravan & storm the US border @ election time. Soros? US-backed NGOs? Time to investigate the source! pic.twitter.com/5pEByiGkkN— Rep. Matt Gaetz (@RepMattGaetz) October 17, 2018
Gaetz, who has used his Twitter feed to push conspiracies before, said that liberal mega-donor George Soros, a Republican boogeyman, has possibly launched his most nefarious plot yet: hiring people to join a caravan of migrants that… Republicans will use for the next three weeks to rally their base and ensure conservatives keep the House.
Is the goal of 3-D chess to lose? Who knows.
Of course, there’s no logic behind it being funded by Soros whatsoever, but you toss a bone like this to Twitter, and of course, it explodes.
For a member of the US House of Representatives to push this is huge. What do you think should be done if the caravan really is a paid stunt or filled with what amount to paid actors? https://t.co/B1vD10Qf34— Conservative Tribune (@conserv_tribune) October 18, 2018
Do you think this is migrant Caravan right before the election has been staged by Democrats & George Soros for political gain— JF Schoch Building (@jfschoch) October 18, 2018
Who is paying for this Central American caravan of 3,000 people so they can attack American sovereignty?— John Betts (@JohnFromCranber) October 18, 2018
My view: SOROS https://t.co/ik6LXtJp5q
Even Newt Gingrich, who said the caravan would define the election, wants to know who is paying for it.
Who is paying for this Central American caravan of 3,000 people so they can attack American sovereignty?if this caravan succeeds how big will the next one be? Why do news media and the Democrats favor law breakers?— Newt Gingrich (@newtgingrich) October 17, 2018
It’s likely no one is paying for the caravan. But of all theories, it makes the least sense for it to be Democrats footing the bill.
Especially when you see who is getting hyped up about it as Election Day approaches.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]