- The Pixelbook Go is Google’s first attempt at a mid-range Chromebook 5 Years Ago
- All the games coming to Google Stadia 5 Years Ago
- Google just announced a line of Nest-branded smart home products Today 10:36 AM
- ‘Fake news’ is helping conspiracy theorists deny Turkish atrocities Today 10:15 AM
- YouTuber immediately loses gig with Sanders campaign over sexualized MLK video Today 9:59 AM
- John Bolton becomes the most uncomfortable resistance hero yet Today 9:16 AM
- Robert Eggers on the long, hard road to ‘The Lighthouse’ Today 9:10 AM
- How to watch the fourth 2020 Democratic debate Today 9:00 AM
- Is social media normalizing cultural appropriation? Today 7:45 AM
- Zoë Kravitz will play Catwoman after being told she was too ‘urban’ for ‘Dark Knight Rises’ Today 6:36 AM
- The 5 best Spike Lee movies Today 5:00 AM
- Jesse Eisenberg and Imogen Poots visit suburban hell in ‘Vivarium’ Today 4:30 AM
- Spoiler-free review: HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ leans into the comic’s political side Today 3:00 AM
- #DogsAgainstBrexit highlights the negative impact of Brexit on pets Monday 7:44 PM
- Congress investigating whether vaping manufacturers used social media bots Monday 6:34 PM
Delaware governor ‘looking into’ why he tweeted pic of sexy Estonian model
Wait, that’s no disadvanaged Delawarian student! It’s shirtless underground Estonian artist/model!
Delaware Gov. Jack Markell’s staff is “looking into” why his official Twitter account tweeted a racy photo of underground Estonian artist and model Darja, who goes by Precious Little.
“At Warner E.S. in #WilmDE to announce new initiative to support many of #netDE’s most disadvantaged students,” Markell’s official, verified accounted tweeted Thursday morning. One hitch: The attached photo wasn’t of any disadvantaged students, but of Darja, wearing no visible clothing except leather straps.
The tweet didn’t stay up long, but as more and more politicans are learning, each of their deleted tweets is tracked by politwoops. The photo wasn’t even one of Darja’s more recent, more polished, photos; it was taken before her numerous chest tattoos.
“The image leaked is an old candid/selfie,” Darja told the Daily Dot.
Dubiously “accidental” tweets happen all the time, but it’s not uncommon at all for a politician’s aide to make mistakes with the big one, like with Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.)’s recent Weird Twitter flareup last month. To Markell’s credit, his Twitter biography does specify that he signs all of his personal tweets with his initials, which were absent from the Darja tweet. And she’s had no contact with anyone on his staff, she said. “I do not know any of the Governor’s staff personally,” Darja, who’s engaged to be married to her long-term partner, told the Daily Dot.
Markell’s staff has vowed to find out what happened. “I assume the image leak was purely an accident,” Darja said. “Instances like this make one question posting anything publicly.”
Illustration for Jason Reed
A former senior politics reporter for the Daily Dot, Kevin Collier focuses on privacy, cybersecurity, and issues of importance to the open internet. Since leaving the Daily Dot in March 2016, he has served as a reporter for Vocativ and a cybersecurity correspondent for BuzzFeed.