- ‘Game of Thrones’ fulfilled a twisted version of its biggest prophecy 3 Years Ago
- Minions memes are more popular than the far-right on Telegram 3 Years Ago
- ‘Best of Nextdoor’ reveals the true insanity of modern life 3 Years Ago
- How to watch ‘Jeopardy’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- There’s a water bottle hiding in the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Today 6:46 AM
- What happens to Disney’s Loki TV series after ‘Avengers: Endgame’? Today 6:30 AM
- Brienne writing Jaime’s history is the best meme from the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Today 6:25 AM
- How to stream live TV on PlayStation 4 Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Disney XD online for free Today 5:30 AM
- Who survived the ‘Game of Thrones’ series finale? Sunday 10:21 PM
- Justin Bieber fans are damaging one of Iceland’s top tourist spots Sunday 1:28 PM
- James Charles drops 41-minute response video to Tati Westbrook’s accusations Sunday 1:15 PM
- Watch what happens when this Twitch streamer quits his job on camera Sunday 12:25 PM
- Men are finally sharing their abortion stories Sunday 10:58 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Maria’ is a trigger-happy B-movie Sunday 9:07 AM
A treasure trove of men telling Hillary Clinton to smile during DNC acceptance speech
Maybe this is a reason why a lot of people are voting for Hillary in the first place.
Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton made history Thursday night, becoming the first woman to formally accept a major party’s presidential nomination.
However, on Twitter, there were a lot of people who seemed concerned that whatever Clinton was doing with her face during the speech was somehow wrong.
Honestly Hillary has one sinister looking smile
— Nathaniel Ericson (@Nathaniel_8_) July 29, 2016
Hillary Clinton has literally NO emotion at allll what a damn robot. She has to pause and force herself to smile
— . (@zachfaiar) July 29, 2016
& hillary’s smile is creepy as Fuk dogg
— andrew (@lowkeylord) July 29, 2016
It’s quite unnatural for someone to smile as much as Hillary
— Broke (@tadessemehret) July 29, 2016
Hillary’s Google searches:
“how to smile with your eyes”
“how to hold press conferences w/out media questions”
“chelsea clinton middle name”
— Sneeze Faction (@Sharing_Lungs) July 29, 2016
SMILE THROUGH THE FEELINGS HILLARY THEY WON’T SHOW
— Colin de Lorraine (@ColinVerteuil) July 29, 2016
Hillary got this lil devil smile she just as fraud as trump
— . (@El_aquille) July 29, 2016
Naturally, these smile comments attracted a swift and visceral reaction from those who saw sexism in the criticism of Clinton’s appearance.
Bros: If you can manage to not disparage how she speaks, you’ll be two steps ahead of all the other bros 😉
— Dave Jamieson (@jamieson) July 29, 2016
The audacity of telling a woman who has been Secretary of State that she should smile more. She isn’t running to be your mommy.
— roxane gay (@rgay) July 29, 2016
Clinton wasn’t the only person whose mouth-shape attracted criticism. Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, who seemed more than a little miffed that it wasn’t him up on the stage, was also chided for not showing his pearly whites when the camera panned his way.
I thought Bernie’s lack of a smile was the perfect commentary. If you were stabbed in the back, you’d frown, too.
— Mike Gibson (@papreps) July 29, 2016
Bernie could at least fake a smile.
— Alex Tabarrok (@ATabarrok) July 29, 2016
So I guess that barnburner of a speech Bernie made isn’t enough for some of you mf’s, he’s gotta smile like an Amway salesman, too
— Jim Gabriel (@flipyourface) July 29, 2016
Would it kill Bernie to smile?
— Josh Dorner (@JoshDorner) July 29, 2016
YOU LOOK SO MUCH PRETTIER WHEN YOU SMILE, BERNIE
— The K Files (@k_files) July 29, 2016
— Kurt Andersen (@KBAndersen) July 29, 2016
Smiling: everyone is doing it wrong—except, of course, Joe Biden. Everyone knows good ol’ Diamond Joe knows how to grin with the best of ’em.
Aaron Sankin is a former Senior Staff Writer at the Daily Dot who covered the intersection of politics, technology, online privacy, Twitter bots, and the role of dank memes in popular culture. He lives in Seattle, Washington. He joined the Center for Investigative Reporting in 2016.