- ‘Weathering With You’ blends fantasy and realism in a magical love story Saturday 6:18 PM
- Kidnapped teen used Snapchat to get rescued Saturday 4:35 PM
- What fans do and don’t want to see in future ‘Far Cry’ installments Saturday 4:26 PM
- Aaron Carter accused of stealing lion art for merch Saturday 3:10 PM
- Instagram’s hidden like counts were inspired by a ‘Black Mirror’ episode Saturday 2:06 PM
- Student says they were expelled for tricking teacher into making inappropriate TikTok Saturday 12:26 PM
- Space Force uniforms relentlessly mocked, memed Saturday 10:52 AM
- Man flamed after admitting he called police on Target employee over a toothbrush Saturday 9:10 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Vivir Dos Veces’ searches for a last chance at first love Saturday 8:00 AM
- Camila Cabello must do more about her racist history Saturday 6:00 AM
- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
Google security engineers to NSA: ‘F**k you’
In the wake of revelations that the NSA hacked into Google and Yahoo servers, engineers lash out on social media.
“I’m just going to share my thoughts on this,” wrote network security engineer Brandon Downey. “Fuck these guys”.
“I’ve spent the last ten years of my life trying to keep Google’s users safe and secure from the many diverse threats Google faces,” Downey added.
“[It’s] just a little like coming home from War with Sauron, destroying the One Ring, only to discover the NSA is on the front porch of the Shire chopping down the Party Tree and outsourcing all the hobbit farmers with half-orcs and whips. “
Mike Hearn, a security technician in the U.K. echoed Downey’s sentiments. Literally:
“I now join [Downey] in issuing a giant Fuck You…In the absence of working law enforcement, we therefore do what internet engineers have always done – build more secure software. The traffic [in the cloud] is now all encrypted and the work the NSA/GCHQ staff did on understanding it, ruined.”
There’s no shortage of people outraged about the NSA’s clandestine infiltration of Google’s servers. But perhaps no one is more annoyed than the engineers whose job it is stop them.
Joe Kloc is a former Daily Dot contributor who covered technology and policy. He's contributed to Newsweek and Mother Jones, discussed his reporting on air with WNYC, and written Weekly Reviews for Harper's Magazine.