- Andrew Yang upset porn fans with his criticism of Bing Tuesday 10:34 PM
- Kamala Harris really wants Trump kicked off Twitter Tuesday 10:22 PM
- Bernie Sanders jokes he didn’t use medical marijuana before tonight’s debate Tuesday 9:47 PM
- Tulsi Gabbard says she’s not a Russian asset—which is just what a Russian asset would say Tuesday 9:20 PM
- Warren says she doesn’t have a ‘beef with billionaires’ Tuesday 8:59 PM
- Andrew Yang’s Universal Basic Income plan gets support from other candidates Tuesday 8:40 PM
- Christmas creep is real, and it’s all over Tom Steyer’s neck Tuesday 8:05 PM
- Stans are using pictures of Beyoncé to catfish sugar daddies Tuesday 7:18 PM
- Wait, who the heck is Tom Steyer? Tuesday 7:17 PM
- Teacher caught on video in racist rant put on leave without pay Tuesday 5:44 PM
- Pornhub pulls Girls Do Porn videos amid sex trafficking charges Tuesday 4:49 PM
- Gina Rodriguez sings N-word on Instagram story Tuesday 4:41 PM
- Trump Jr. mocked for Hunter Biden tweet about profiting from dad’s name Tuesday 3:58 PM
- All the holiday movies and shows coming to Netflix in 2019 Tuesday 3:48 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 7: The QB blues Tuesday 3:29 PM
A photo snapped of 2020 Democratic presidential hopefuls Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) sitting in adjacent rows on a flight to Miami has become the first good meme of 2020.
The photo, posted by Steve Clemons of The Hill, shows Sanders sitting in a window seat on a plane, Warren sitting in the same seat one row behind him, and a person sitting in the middle seat next to the Vermont senator not looking thrilled about the situation.
Off2Miami! @BernieSanders in Seat 15A Thought Bubble: "Is she going to kick my chair? I know she's going to kick my chair! Elizabeth, don't even think of kicking my chair!" @ewarren in 16A Thought Bubble: "I'm going to kick it the exact moment he thinks I won't." @thehill pic.twitter.com/jOTAJSyIwu— Steve Clemons (@SCClemons) June 21, 2019
Soon enough “Middle Seat Guy” became a meme, with everyone joking about his apparent unenthusiastic feelings about being caught in the photo.
Many people believed his expression was indicative of everyone’s feelings heading into what is sure to be a never-ending, exhausting, 2020 cycle.
We are all Middle Seat Guy. https://t.co/Jyo0NYgo4f— Josh "No Cannes do" Sternberg (@joshsternberg) June 21, 2019
That guy next to Bernie is all of us watching this Dem primary unfold. https://t.co/xebUuJO2wU— Chris Hartline (@ChrisHartline) June 21, 2019
Guy in the middle seat is all of us in the middle seat, regardless of whether presidential candidates are in our row https://t.co/3tRlvxB0Mw— Patrick Svitek (@PatrickSvitek) June 21, 2019
Guy in 15B thought bubble: "Ugh I booked a Miami vacation to get a break from this shit" https://t.co/0xDA8VNNI2— Lachlan Markay (@lachlan) June 21, 2019
we're all the guy sitting next to Sanders. https://t.co/X11QRhVpzB— Justin Myers (@JustinJCMyers) June 21, 2019
But there were also quips about the situation in general.
I bet Bernie leans his chair back to take a nap. https://t.co/kyVjl7ZaRA— Gina Countryman (@gcountryman) June 21, 2019
tfw when you see a coworker outside of work and you try and figure out how much you actually have to interact https://t.co/vA6ZYN8Twd— Pete Schroeder (@peteschroeder) June 21, 2019
they are both seated above the left wing. https://t.co/lQGcn6lquQ— Jackson Proskow (@JProskowGlobal) June 21, 2019
Both Warren and Sanders will be participating in the first Democratic 2020 primary debates next week, although, because of the amount of candidates, they will be speaking on separate days.
The debates will take place on Wednesday and Thursday next week.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).