- The 10 most influential hashtags of the decade Today 6:30 AM
- A lonely grandma sought family to spend Christmas with on Craigslist Saturday 5:45 PM
- Airbnb bans white supremacists tied to Iron March forum Saturday 5:07 PM
- Did a Twitter user really get tricked into naming baby ‘Jack Ingof’? Saturday 4:46 PM
- State of emergency declared in New Orleans following ‘cyberattack’ Saturday 4:12 PM
- Video shows boy getting beat up–mom says it’s because he wore MAGA hat Saturday 3:54 PM
- Billboard changing albums chart to count YouTube streams Saturday 2:43 PM
- TikTok’s 20 most popular songs of 2019 Saturday 2:14 PM
- Greek gods memes are flooding Reddit thanks to TV reboot rumors Saturday 1:47 PM
- Anti-impeachment protesters aimlessly fumble through halls of Congress Saturday 12:54 PM
- Everything we know so far about the Xbox Series X Saturday 12:17 PM
- ASMR YouTuber Life with MaK says she was branded a ‘Nazi’ by online smear campaign Saturday 10:46 AM
- Voters duped by fake ex-Bloomberg intern’s tweet about being fired Saturday 9:47 AM
- HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ and the fantasy of competence Saturday 8:00 AM
- Cómo ver Kamaru Usman vs. Colby Covington en el UFC 245 Saturday 7:00 AM
Top 10 election night GIFs
Distilling Tuesday night into animated GIF form.
And it all ended early this morning after President Barack Obama was reelected for a second term.
“America, I believe we can build on the progress we’ve made and continue to fight for new jobs and new opportunities and new security for the middle class. I believe we can keep the promise of our founding, the idea that if you’re willing to work hard, it doesn’t matter who you are or where you come from or what you look like or where you love,” Obama said to a raucous and exhausted crowd in Chicago. “It doesn’t matter whether you’re black or white or Hispanic or Asian or Native American or young or old or rich or poor, abled, disabled, gay, or straight. You can make it here in America if you’re willing to try.”
While Tuesday evening’s election results did not have as many over the top expressions ripe for GIFing, the day long build-up to the big announcement proved to be exciting. Tales of malfunctioning voting machines, strange search engine results, and the New York Times’ Nate Silver’s bold predictions helped fill the news cycle as millions of Americans flooded polling stations.
These stories, as well as the speeches from Obama and Mitt Romney, were the source of inspiration for 10 original Election Day GIFs created by artist Jason “challenger” Reed and the Daily Dot. Check them out below.
2) Voting in Florida
3) Gun slinger
4) Lana Del Rey entertains
5) Polling machine malfunctions
6) America gets groovy
7) Big Bird makes a curtain call
8) Waving flags
9) “Best is yet to come”
10) Fist pound
All GIFs by Jason Reed and Fernando Alfonso III; main photo via duanium
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.