- West Virginia corrections employees suspended after Nazi salute photo surfaces Thursday 8:02 PM
- Here are the 15 best Eddie Murphy movies available to stream Thursday 7:56 PM
- Ex-InfoWars video editor admits to making up Islamophobic stories Thursday 6:55 PM
- WhatsApp accounts deleted amid Kashmir internet blackout Thursday 6:21 PM
- Guy gets mocked for tattoo of Baby Yoda drinking White Claw Thursday 6:18 PM
- Spotify Wrapped has people asking just how much it knows about us Thursday 5:50 PM
- Instagram account allegedly asked for inappropriate photos of children Thursday 5:16 PM
- How to stream ‘Boys vs. Bears on Thursday Night Football Thursday 4:33 PM
- Woman caught her boyfriend cheating through his Fitbit Thursday 4:29 PM
- The Pete Buttigieg ‘High Hopes’ dance was designed by an intern Thursday 4:17 PM
- TikTok admits to hiding content made by fat, LGBTQ, and disabled users Thursday 3:58 PM
- ‘Merry Happy Whatever’ is an unoriginal sitcom with plenty of holiday cheer Thursday 3:55 PM
- The ‘Pod Save America’ Bros are losing it over Joe Biden’s newest ad Thursday 3:28 PM
- Van Halen had a wholesome response in defense of Billie Eilish Thursday 3:15 PM
- Influencer faces wrath of K-pop fans after her son played with penis-shaped soap Thursday 1:27 PM
Deval Patrick, the former governor of Massachusetts, announced on Thursday that he would join the nearly two dozen candidates vying to get the Democratic 2020 nomination—and there are plenty of people who don’t think the race needs another wealthy venture capitalist.
Patrick announced his candidacy in a video on Thursday.
“I admire and respect the candidates in the Democratic field. They bring a richness of ideas and experience, and a depth of character that makes me proud to be a Democrat,” Patrick says in the video. “But if the character of the candidates is an issue in every election, this time is about the character of the country.”
In a spirit of profound gratitude for all the country has given to me, with a determination to build a better, more sustainable, more inclusive American Dream for everyone:— Deval Patrick (@DevalPatrick) November 14, 2019
I am today announcing my candidacy for President of the United States.https://t.co/hObdLNiFMJ pic.twitter.com/fGmI0qxkxS
And, perhaps as a good indicator of how people feel about the former governor’s foray into the crowded Democratic field, the video was amassing a ratio on Thursday morning, with more than 1,800 replies compared to just 449 retweets and 1,100 likes.
The complaints against Patrick’s candidacy touched on a number of issues including: an already bursting-at-the-seams roster of presidential hopefuls, his work at private equity firm Bain Capital, and his removal of two officials at Massachusetts’s Sex Offender Registry Board as they tried to force his brother-in-law to register as a sex offender.
Dear future Democratic hopefuls,— Dr. Waitman Wade Beorn (@waitmanb) November 14, 2019
I am sorry but your application for a presidential fellowship is several months late and cannot be accepted. We have many qualified applicants and do not have time to consider your application. Please apply next round.https://t.co/OxxdgaGVFH
We’re supposed to be eliminating candidates from this overly crowded field, not adding more. If Deval had a case to make for his Presidency, he could have made it 11 months ago. #DropOutDeval https://t.co/uqjB7u9Nwc— Eric Peterson 🐢 (@DiversityEric) November 14, 2019
Please, for everyone's sake, just don't. https://t.co/wMFdXavQCv— Stephen White (@sgw94) November 14, 2019
This is ridiculous. You've missed the filing deadlines in 2 states, you're not going to make any debates, and you're not going to win any delegates. What is the point of this? https://t.co/EbaItOY47m— Niles Francis (@NilesGApol) November 14, 2019
Patrick's announcement tweet is getting ratioed. Yikes https://t.co/14nDPitYU5— Tom Hearden (@followtheh) November 14, 2019
I'm guessing it's not a good sign for Patrick that his announcement video is getting ratioed. https://t.co/U4J9d9FyIW— Tom Bevan (@TomBevanRCP) November 14, 2019
No. We do not need more Presidential candidates! Run for Congress, we need you there much more than here!! https://t.co/MDhgKw2tXn— Jules Williams (@jules1327) November 14, 2019
"Deval Patrick? SIGN ME UP!" said no one not named Deval Patrick.— Rick Wilson (@TheRickWilson) November 13, 2019
Just when I was feeling good about the field being whittled down to a manageable 17 candidates, number 18 joins the circus 😒 https://t.co/Pn3RjdUXOR— Samantha Lent (@samanthalent) November 14, 2019
CW: sexual violence— Jacob Bloomfield (@JRBloomfield) November 14, 2019
Deval Patrick fired the chairwoman of MA's Sex Offender Registry Board because she wanted to keep Patrick's brother, who was found guilty of raping his wife, on the sex offender registry. One of many reasons why Gov Patrick's campaign is wrong for this moment
It is too late for Patrick to qualify for the upcoming Democratic debate, held next Wednesday, Nov. 20.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).