- Game developer Chucklefish accused of whitewashing characters of color Monday 5:22 PM
- Apple TV’s ‘Hala’ is a silent explosion of a coming-of-age film Monday 5:20 PM
- This new video game apparently lets you play Jesus Monday 4:02 PM
- Golden toilet creator sells world’s most expensive banana—only for another artist to eat it Monday 3:24 PM
- This new Chinese video game lets players attack Hong Kong protesters Monday 3:05 PM
- These TikTok videos that recreate NPC interactions from Skyrim are honestly incredible Monday 2:40 PM
- John Legend defends pro-consent ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside’ lyrics Monday 2:38 PM
- Video shows UC Berkeley student using racial slurs, making homophobic comments Monday 2:36 PM
- New video reveals Brother Nature instigated sandwich shop fight Monday 2:06 PM
- Lizzo’s thong dress breaks the internet Monday 1:25 PM
- Pixel Buds 2 or Apple AirPods 2: Which are right for you? Monday 1:09 PM
- It’s 2019: Make your holiday cards online, for free this year Monday 12:47 PM
- Fighting over the ‘Marriage Story’ fight scene becomes a meme Monday 12:41 PM
- ‘Trump is innocent!’: InfoWars correspondent interrupts impeachment hearing Monday 12:12 PM
- Video shows runner smacking reporter’s butt on live TV Monday 11:46 AM
Chicago police have charged four suspects with a hate crime for allegedly beating and torturing a student with mental disabilities.
Tanishia Covington, 24, Tesfaye Cooper, 18, Brittany Covington, 18, and Jordan Hill, 18, are also charged with aggravated kidnapping, aggravated unlawful restraint, aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, and residential burglary.
A half-hour video, which went viral on social media Wednesday, appears to show the four teens taunting and torturing the 18-year-old victim, who has not been identified by police but was described as an adult man with “mental health challenges.”
The video shows two men punching and slapping the victim, who had been tied up and gagged in a corner. At one point, an assailant appears to use a knife to carve into the man’s scalp. The victim is also seen being kicked in the head, slashed with knives, and forced to drink from a toilet.
In the background of the video, a person can be heard repeatedly yelling, “Fuck Trump!” and “Fuck white people!”
Chicago police later found the victim, who was reportedly held against his will for up to 48 hours, in Chicago’s Homan Square neighborhood. The video was discovered by police after they learned he had been reported missing.
A police spokesperson said the four suspects, who are black, were being charged with a hate crime because of the victim’s disabilities, not because of the racial epithets shouted by the suspects in the video. The victim is white.
Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson, a 28-year veteran of the force, said the video was “sickening.”
“It makes you wonder what would make individuals treat somebody like that,” he said.
Addressing the video Thursday afternoon, White House press secretary Josh Earnest said the video demonstrated “a level of depravity that is [an] outrage to a lot of Americans.”
H/T Chicago Tribune
Dell Cameron was a reporter at the Daily Dot who covered security and politics. In 2015, he revealed the existence of an American hacker on the U.S. government's terrorist watchlist. He is a co-author of the Sabu Files, an award-nominated investigation into the FBI's use of cyber-informants. He became a staff writer at Gizmodo in 2017.