- How to watch ‘The Real Housewives of New Jersey’ online free 2 Years Ago
- Ocasio-Cortez’s Twitch appearance isn’t a gimmick—it’s a strategy Today 4:00 AM
- Viral video shows an egg getting a hot makeover Tuesday 7:56 PM
- New Netflix feature broadcasts what you’re watching via Instagram Tuesday 6:11 PM
- Videos show alleged Covington teens harassing women, making rape jokes at march Tuesday 4:13 PM
- MAGA teen gets ‘Today Show’ interview—and people are pissed Tuesday 3:38 PM
- Family says hacker sent fake North Korean missile warning through Nest camera Tuesday 2:42 PM
- This Arizona bill would tax internet porn to fund a border wall Tuesday 2:41 PM
- This meme is asking people how they draw the letter X Tuesday 1:18 PM
- Charlie Kirk’s love of U.S. healthcare system put to the test after back problems Tuesday 1:12 PM
- Fyre Fest caterer who was left broke has received $160,000 in donations Tuesday 12:58 PM
- The YouTuber who taught a dog to give the Nazi salute on command can’t find a job Tuesday 12:24 PM
- The ‘oh yeah yeah’ meme is flooding YouTube—and KSI can’t deal Tuesday 12:20 PM
- Did this d*ck-drawing Instagram star steal her gag from a rival runner? Tuesday 12:00 PM
- Rep. Steve King, best known for his racism, tweets a fake MLK quote Tuesday 11:54 AM
President Donald Trump might have thought he was paying Brigitte Macron a compliment while meeting with her husband, French President Emmanuel Macron, on Thursday, but the remarks feel anything but kind.
While chatting with the Macrons and First Lady Melania Trump, President Trump told Macron’s wife, “You’re in such good shape.”
He then proceeded to repeat the comment to Macron before turning back to his wife and remarking, “beautiful.”
While such comments appear innocuous, almost complimentary, Trump’s words are significant within the context of the age difference between both presidential couples—while Trump is 24 years older than his wife, Macron is 24 years younger than his.
Many on the internet we quick to point out the subtle undertones in Trump’s words and body language.
Trump tells the First Lady of France, Brigitte Macron: “You’re in such good shape … beautiful”pic.twitter.com/tKCzX15cPl
— Bradd Jaffy (@BraddJaffy) July 13, 2017
As Macron and Trump bid goodbye to first ladies, Trump looks Brigitte up and down. 'She looks great.. beautiful' https://t.co/4X7D6qGFCI
— Adam Plowright (@ADAMPLOW) July 13, 2017
"For her age" I'm assuming. Brigitte Macron appears to try and hide behind FLOTUS for protection. Is this real life?
— High-Quality Lisa B (@Lisa_Battleaxe) July 13, 2017
Gropper-In-Chief, Trump Found A New Handshake Victim…wrenching the arm of France's First Lady, Brigitte Macron. pic.twitter.com/IOOfoV54cS
— Trump's ZombieLand (@StevenReyCristo) July 13, 2017
Well in his eyes he is complimenting Macron too because he sees the First Lady as Macron's property. pic.twitter.com/Sn74H6WAsj
— Codi Coday (@CodiCoday) July 13, 2017
This is disrespectful to all women – not a compliment; it's about demonstrating power (over Macron, the First Lady & women in general)
— AmandaWilsonWatkins (@Awilsonwatkins) July 13, 2017
This is also far from the first time Trump has paid compliments to someone—or more so, something—of a particular age. Like the time when commenting on Air Force One, said, “What can look so beautiful at 30? An airplane.”
Samantha Grasso is a former IRL staff writer for the Daily Dot with a reporting emphasis on immigration. Her work has appeared on Los Angeles Magazine, Death And Taxes, Revelist, Texts From Last Night, Austin Monthly, and she has previously contributed to Texas Monthly.