- The DOJ emailed a white nationalist blog post to immigration judges 2 Weeks Ago
- The Amazon rainforest is on fire–and people are using memes to cope Today 4:11 PM
- Microsoft contractors listened in on Xbox users Today 2:15 PM
- Anti-vaxxer assaults pro-vaccine lawmaker on Facebook Live (updated) Today 2:15 PM
- Oreos licked by singer Lewis Capaldi are being auctioned off on eBay Today 1:54 PM
- Zach Braff predicted Sean Spicer would be on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 2 years ago Today 1:38 PM
- NYPD sergeant who watched Eric Garner die punished with lost vacation days Today 1:27 PM
- Brie Larson haters have a meltdown over a joke about Thor’s hammer Today 1:26 PM
- This comedian attempted to make fun of women on Twitter—and it did not go over well Today 1:04 PM
- Logan Paul wants to help the Amazon rainforest Today 12:36 PM
- Nutaku announces redesign and filters for LGBTQ porn games Today 12:25 PM
- This video of dozens of inflatable mattresses taking off in the wind is perfect Today 12:20 PM
- Reddit mods restore Tiananmen Square image after censorship claims Today 12:18 PM
- Billie Eilish parody takes dad jokes to a whole new level Today 11:52 AM
- How to stream Eagles vs. Ravens in NFL preseason action Today 11:26 AM
Only a few adult visual novels (or eroge games) were localized from Japan to the U.S. during the 1990s. One of the most memorable included True Love Jun’ai Monogatari, which follows a 19-year-old college student’s romantic endeavors with his classmates and acquaintances. But after becoming abandonware during the 2000s, one American publisher is finally rereleasing True Love in English.
On Tuesday, FAKKU shared a trailer for True Love ’95, the adult visual novel’s first-ever English rerelease. The game will be “available soon” on the hentai distributor’s site, the announcement explains, in celebration of the game’s 25th anniversary. “Originally for MS-DOS, Windows 95, and PC-98, you’ll be able to find True Love once again,” FAKKU teased on Twitter.
We are proud to announce that FAKKU is republishing True Love '95! With its 25th anniversary, the classic dating simulator is back!— FAKKU @ Crunchyroll Expo 2019 (@FAKKU) August 7, 2019
Originally for MS-DOS ⌨ Windows 95 🖥 PC-98 🖱 you'll be able to find True Love once again ❤
✅ Available soon on FAKKUhttps://t.co/v7Dfm2mAsw pic.twitter.com/k9oCV4zGVS
I'm so happy we are releasing this game! True Love was one of the first dating sims I ever played and it honestly had such a big dumb impact on my life. I've been talking about this game in panels and at events for years, don't miss it! https://t.co/oqKm3xsZqp— Jacob (@largehotcoffee) August 7, 2019
FAKKU is also offering a pair of limited-edition T-shirts inspired by True Love from the popular queer artist and “self-proclaimed glitch witch” DataErase. “It’s very surreal to actually get commissioned to do like glitch art for an actual official rerelease of an old pc98 game?” she tweeted.
To go with the release of True Love, 🙏 @DataErase 🙏 has designed two brand new LIMITED ONE-TIME exclusive shirts!— FAKKU @ Crunchyroll Expo 2019 (@FAKKU) August 7, 2019
Ḑ̸̧̯͇̺̻̄͂̋̿̐̊̑Ǫ̸̡̝̭̪͚͎͓̯̭͐͝͠ͅ ̵̟̻͉͈̯̤̻̜̩̭̦̞͛́N̶̡̧̢̯̖̜̤̟͕̜̦͈͍͔̮̽̈́̾̌͂̊͊̽̕OT LOAD DATAhttps://t.co/Jt7H4M3jZE
QUIT GAM̷̙̦̏̀̐̈͘͘͜Ĕ̷̛̪̖͊́͌̓͝https://t.co/vv3ml8MBzF pic.twitter.com/yh4I3fPIlj
Adult visual novel fans quickly fell in love.
This is sooo cool! Seeing old games get rescued like this is awesome and completely unexpected in a wonderful way!— Battlechili (@WaywardChili11) August 7, 2019
YELLS— tiddy stan (@666tiddystan) August 7, 2019
Now you can say that...— Blick Winkel⁉️Con-stipation (H. Anthony Israel) (@blockwonkel) August 7, 2019
you found True Love at Fakku. https://t.co/vL1LL4DSQs
Ah this game brings back memories. I still remember printing out a guide to help me with each girl😅— Armando Castellanos (@ACR_GTO) August 7, 2019
Others were pleasantly surprised.
WHAT?! This is one of the most important, defining experiences in my entire gaming life. And it's coming back, officially? I am all over this when it releases.— MoeGamer.net | Pete Davison (@MoeGamer) August 7, 2019
Damn, @FAKKU, great work. ❤️ https://t.co/W2fd7c4A7J
Goddamn Jacob, I know you love "True Love", but this is something else I did not expect. LOVE IT.— Kai Kazuhiro (@kaimax61) August 7, 2019
True Love was developed by Japanese studio Software House Parsley and released in Japan for the NEC PC-98 computer line in 1995. Four years later, the game was localized for Windows 95 and released in the U.S. and Europe, where it became a cult classic. Despite its popularity in the U.S., the game seemed to be in licensing limbo and only available to play through pirated sources until this week.
Then writing for Paste magazine, Kotaku’s Gita Jackson broke down True Love’s complicated handle on love and sex by connecting it with her own coming-of-age online. “True Love was all about the emotional foreplay, the dates leading up to intimacy, the touches and signs, the gestures,” Jackson wrote. “The sex scenes in the game are brief, and it asks you to really fall in love with these women, to ask yourself, what kind of girl do I want?, in order to be satisfied by them.”
For more information, head over to FAKKU’s thread on True Love ’95. The Daily Dot reached out to FAKKU and founder Jacob Grady and is awaiting comment.
- Inside the porn civil war between Hentai Haven and FAKKU
- Gaming’s fickle relationship with porn is holding back adult content
- From hentai to adult video games, these are the best anime porn sites
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Ana Valens is a reporter specializing in online queer communities, marginalized identities, and adult content creation. She is Daily Dot's Trans/Sex columnist. Her work has appeared at Vice, Vox, Truthout, Bitch Media, Kill Screen, Rolling Stone, and the Toast. She lives in Brooklyn, New York, and spends her free time developing queer adult games.