- Instagram has mixed feelings about Mindy Kaling supporting Aziz Ansari Saturday 5:02 PM
- Donald Trump keeps pushing his unsubstantiated voter fraud claims Saturday 4:09 PM
- Report: YouTube will no longer run ads on anti-vax channels Saturday 2:54 PM
- Microsoft employees want to cancel a $479 million contract with the U.S. military Saturday 1:14 PM
- Queso recipe gets launched to space Saturday 10:09 AM
- ‘Isabelle Facts’ was a wholesome queer meme account—until harassers showed up Saturday 8:28 AM
- 2016 election stories the ‘Newsroom’ reboot will cover Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Brandon Rios vs. Humberto Soto for free Saturday 6:00 AM
- ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ heads to ‘Bly Manor’ for next installment Saturday 5:45 AM
- How to stream James DeGale vs. Chris Eubank Jr. for free Saturday 5:30 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 145 in Prague for free Saturday 5:00 AM
- R. Kelly charged in Chicago with multiple counts of sex abuse Friday 7:51 PM
- Elon Musk finally hosts PewDiePie’s meme review Friday 6:27 PM
- Netflix throws ‘Umbrella Academy’-themed wedding for fans Friday 4:54 PM
- Report: Facebook collects app data on users’ body weight, menstrual cycles Friday 3:38 PM
Say it ain’t so, Paula.
The tweet, which has since been deleted, used the popular #TransformationTuesday hashtag and showed Deen dressed as Lucille Ball’s I Love Lucy character, next to her son, Bobby, dressed as Ricky Ricardo—a costume which he apparently felt required blackface. The photo appears to be from the set of her show, Paula Deen’s Kitchen.
This isn’t the first time Deen has been embroiled in a racial controversy. In 2013, the southern chef was caught on video using the N-word, and expressed an interest in hiring black men and women to play “slaves” at a wedding.
Bobby Deen, who hosts Food Network shows Holiday Baking Championship and Spring Baking Championship, defended his mother during her last racist scandal, saying he “abhors” the N-word and did not grow up hearing it in his household.
Unfortunately for the Deen family, many Twitter users are rightfully angry about the photo and took to the site to condemn Paula for what they see as her inability to respect other races after the backlash she faced in 2013’s scandal.
As one user noted, Bobby Deen’s own wife, Claudia Lovera, is from Venezuela.
Perhaps one day the Deens will learn to cook up fun without racist ingredients.
Photo via r. nial bradshaw/Flickr (CC BY 2.0) | Remix by Max Fleishman
Laken Howard writes about sex and dating. Based in Brooklyn, she's contributed to Bustle and Business Insider.