- Indie game publisher announces Playdate, a console with a hand crank Wednesday 8:18 PM
- How to get The Sims 4 for free Wednesday 7:45 PM
- Trump’s Rose Garden podium sign is the perfect meme canvas Wednesday 7:34 PM
- Forest Whitaker to produce adaptation of novel ‘Hello, Universe’ for Netflix Wednesday 6:58 PM
- Baltimore still refuses to pay hackers who hit city with ransomware Wednesday 5:34 PM
- Net neutrality advocates slam ‘extremely troubling’ letter circulating among some House Dems Wednesday 4:52 PM
- Moms and grandmas are infiltrating TikTok Wednesday 4:35 PM
- Did Britain’s head Brexiter hide in a bus to avoid getting hit by a milkshake? Wednesday 4:26 PM
- This woman who thought she saw a handmaid about to jump from a building is very relieved Wednesday 4:18 PM
- Michael Avenatti allegedly defrauded Stormy Daniels to pay for a Ferrari Wednesday 3:53 PM
- HBO has no plans for an Arya Stark spinoff series Wednesday 3:28 PM
- Republicans and Democrats agree on dangers of facial recognition tech Wednesday 3:18 PM
- Amazon is using video games and ‘swag bucks’ to incentivize workers Wednesday 3:04 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in June Wednesday 2:46 PM
- This Michael Jackson makeup meme is sweeping TikTok Wednesday 2:45 PM
Netflix is making its rom-com selection a little more inclusive, announcing on Monday that a new lesbian teen comedy, titled Half of It, is under production.
The story follows a high school athlete who, in an ill-advised attempt to win over his muse, hires the typical geeky girl to pen love letters. Unfortunately for him, said geeky girl is also secretly in love with the object of his affections. We won’t spoil the ending here, but it’s a teen comedy, so we can expect a happy conclusion.
The film will be directed by Alice Wu, a Chinese-American director known for her iconic 2004 lesbian flick Saving Face. Leah Lewis is set to star in the title role of Ellie Chu, with Alexxis Lemire playing the much-sought-after Aster Flores. That places three women of color at the core of this upcoming film, a genuine rarity in the world of cinema. Add a queer storyline to the mix, and this teen comedy could be a game-changer.
- The best Netflix original series
- 20 Netflix original documentaries worth watching tonight
- Ranking the best Netflix original movies
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.