- Is Trump defiling the U.S. flag in this MAGA dude’s artwork? Sunday 4:41 PM
- White woman claims she invented sleep bonnets, selling them for $100 Sunday 4:03 PM
- Even real cats are transfixed by the enigma that is the ‘Cats’ trailer Sunday 3:04 PM
- Wait, how tall is Peppa Pig? Sunday 1:55 PM
- Twitter suspends Iranian state media outlets for harassing members of a religious minority Sunday 1:06 PM
- Pro-MAGA pageant queen stripped of title over ‘offensive’ tweets Sunday 11:52 AM
- Marvel unveiled its Phase 4 plans at San Diego Comic-Con Sunday 9:16 AM
- How a queer Instagram is helping fight the opioid epidemic in Appalachia Sunday 6:30 AM
- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
Netflix is making its rom-com selection a little more inclusive, announcing on Monday that a new lesbian teen comedy, titled Half of It, is under production.
The story follows a high school athlete who, in an ill-advised attempt to win over his muse, hires the typical geeky girl to pen love letters. Unfortunately for him, said geeky girl is also secretly in love with the object of his affections. We won’t spoil the ending here, but it’s a teen comedy, so we can expect a happy conclusion.
The film will be directed by Alice Wu, a Chinese-American director known for her iconic 2004 lesbian flick Saving Face. Leah Lewis is set to star in the title role of Ellie Chu, with Alexxis Lemire playing the much-sought-after Aster Flores. That places three women of color at the core of this upcoming film, a genuine rarity in the world of cinema. Add a queer storyline to the mix, and this teen comedy could be a game-changer.
- The best Netflix original series
- 20 Netflix original documentaries worth watching tonight
- Ranking the best Netflix original movies
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.