- Reddit links leaked trade deal documents to Russian campaign Today 10:44 AM
- How to stream Alistair Overeem vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik Today 8:30 AM
- Amazon sends customers condoms and soap instead of Nintendo Switch Today 8:28 AM
- How to live stream Jermall Charlo vs. Dennis Hogan Today 8:00 AM
- Apple TV’s ‘Truth Be Told’ is a criminally dull drama Today 6:00 AM
- Thousands of Uber users have reported sexual assaults, company says Friday 5:40 PM
- ‘Astronomy Club’ reformats the sketch show Friday 4:58 PM
- Trump is concerned America’s toilets too weak Friday 3:53 PM
- Twitter users claim Billie Eilish is ‘over’ because she didn’t like Lady Gaga’s meat dress Friday 2:53 PM
- Nikki Haley says the Confederate flag was fine until Dylann Roof ‘hijacked’ it Friday 2:49 PM
- How emotional labor discourse spawned multiple memes Friday 2:22 PM
- Video of YouTuber Onision threatening ex-girlfriend resurfaces Friday 2:03 PM
- Marianne Williamson embraces anti-vax stance on Facebook Friday 1:58 PM
- Peloton Husband is worried memes will have ‘repercussions’ for his career Friday 1:55 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ stumbles as it returns to a familiar planet Friday 1:47 PM
These badass women are sharing their periods on a very bloody Instagram
Because there’s nothing more metal than bleeding for a week straight without dying.
Gentlemen, I’m gonna let you in on a little secret that you probably don’t want to hear: We ladies are obsessed with our menstrual cycles. We have a morbid obsession with what comes out of our bodies. It’s like a disgusting, painful form of magic every month. And sometimes, this obsession goes a little far, which leads to things like menstrala, or menstrual art.
Warning: If you are a man, these photos might make you weep and gnash your teeth and beat your fists like an Irish widow. If you are a woman, however, they’ll probably just make you go, “Eh, no big, that was basically my last Saturday.” Gentlemen, if you wanna duck out and call your mommies, we totally understand. The big girls will be here when you get back.
Spotted by the Frisky, the Menstrual.blood Instagram account is exactly what it sounds like: an Instagram account that showcases the soiled panties, used tampons, and unwashed menstrual cups that have littered every woman’s garbage can at one point or another. Unlike menstrala, there isn’t anything particularly high-minded or artistic about Menstrual.blood. It’s just a platform for women to show off how metal we are ’cause we bleed like rock stars every month.
Jennifer Williams, the creator of Menstrual.blood, says she started the account so women could take pride in their monthly cycles. “I made this Instagram account to frame menstrual blood as something beautiful and something to be proud of; to bring it out in the open, rather than taboo and hidden away,” she told the Frisky. Williams also says men have submitted photos, as a way to express solidarity with their female friends and partners.
So the next time you’re bleeding and cramping and bleeding and cramping and walking around pale and sweaty and bloated and angry like a wounded, dying bear, reassure yourself that you’re not alone by snapping a period postcard and sending it to Menstrual.blood. And never forget you’re one of the few mammals on the planet that bleeds for a week straight and doesn’t die.
H/T The Frisky | Photo via Duncan/Flickr (CC BY 2.0)
EJ Dickson is a writer and editor who primarily covers sex, dating, and relationships, with a special focus on the intersection of intimacy and technology. She served as the Daily Dot’s IRL editor from January 2014 to July 2015. Her work has since appeared in the New York Times, Rolling Stone, Mic, Bustle, Romper, and Men’s Health.