- People are roasting this ‘traditional’ take on marriage with a hilarious meme Saturday 5:17 PM
- The internet just collectively realized that the Neopets of the world must be hungry Saturday 4:00 PM
- Alt-right message board 8chan was served a search warrant Saturday 3:06 PM
- O.J. Simpson just joined Twitter in the most bizarre fashion Saturday 1:20 PM
- Prominent phone-hacking firm says it can unlock any iPhone for law enforcement Saturday 12:39 PM
- Hundreds of police officers belong to extremist Facebook groups, investigation finds Saturday 9:31 AM
- How to watch Tyson Fury vs. Tom Schwarz online Saturday 8:00 AM
- ‘Late Night’ is a disappointing, tepid comedy Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Love It or List It’ for free Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup online for free Saturday 6:55 AM
- Borderlands 3 preview suggests the aging series can still hang with the cool kids Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to stream the 2019 College World Series for free Saturday 6:00 AM
- Police try to solve domestic violence by giving victims blunt kitchen knives Friday 5:40 PM
- Privacy activist Ola Bini detained for 2 months in Ecuador without charges Friday 5:01 PM
- Twitter says suspending ‘God’ for a pro-LGBTQ tweet was an ‘error’ Friday 4:14 PM
These badass women are sharing their periods on a very bloody Instagram
Because there’s nothing more metal than bleeding for a week straight without dying.
Gentlemen, I’m gonna let you in on a little secret that you probably don’t want to hear: We ladies are obsessed with our menstrual cycles. We have a morbid obsession with what comes out of our bodies. It’s like a disgusting, painful form of magic every month. And sometimes, this obsession goes a little far, which leads to things like menstrala, or menstrual art.
Warning: If you are a man, these photos might make you weep and gnash your teeth and beat your fists like an Irish widow. If you are a woman, however, they’ll probably just make you go, “Eh, no big, that was basically my last Saturday.” Gentlemen, if you wanna duck out and call your mommies, we totally understand. The big girls will be here when you get back.
Spotted by the Frisky, the Menstrual.blood Instagram account is exactly what it sounds like: an Instagram account that showcases the soiled panties, used tampons, and unwashed menstrual cups that have littered every woman’s garbage can at one point or another. Unlike menstrala, there isn’t anything particularly high-minded or artistic about Menstrual.blood. It’s just a platform for women to show off how metal we are ’cause we bleed like rock stars every month.
Jennifer Williams, the creator of Menstrual.blood, says she started the account so women could take pride in their monthly cycles. “I made this Instagram account to frame menstrual blood as something beautiful and something to be proud of; to bring it out in the open, rather than taboo and hidden away,” she told the Frisky. Williams also says men have submitted photos, as a way to express solidarity with their female friends and partners.
So the next time you’re bleeding and cramping and bleeding and cramping and walking around pale and sweaty and bloated and angry like a wounded, dying bear, reassure yourself that you’re not alone by snapping a period postcard and sending it to Menstrual.blood. And never forget you’re one of the few mammals on the planet that bleeds for a week straight and doesn’t die.
H/T The Frisky | Photo via Duncan/Flickr (CC BY 2.0)
EJ Dickson is a writer and editor who primarily covers sex, dating, and relationships, with a special focus on the intersection of intimacy and technology. She served as the Daily Dot’s IRL editor from January 2014 to July 2015. Her work has since appeared in the New York Times, Rolling Stone, Mic, Bustle, Romper, and Men’s Health.