- AirTV is essential for Sling TV subscribers 2 Years Ago
- #ICEBae is reportedly a Democrat–and she has some things to get off her chest Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Fans are stoked that Taika Waititi is back to direct ‘Thor 4’ Tuesday 7:22 PM
- Sacha Baron Cohen thanks ‘co-stars’ Dick Cheney, Sarah Palin for making Emmy nominations possible Tuesday 6:43 PM
- Roger Stone barred from posting on all social media platforms Tuesday 6:03 PM
- The FaceApp challenge shows you how gracefully you’ll age Tuesday 5:16 PM
- Kylie Jenner opens up about her mental health in candid Instagram post Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Fans speculate wildly about Naomi Watts’ ‘Game of Thrones’ prequel role after leaked set photo Tuesday 3:54 PM
- New Jersey congressman joins House Democrats ‘Squad’ because of an Onion article Tuesday 3:09 PM
- Twitter begins rolling out new desktop redesign, and users aren’t happy Tuesday 1:54 PM
- Man asks his girlfriend to ‘unlove’ her ex—and people do not agree with him Tuesday 1:37 PM
- Relive a forgotten gem with the TurboGrafx-16 Mini console Tuesday 1:09 PM
- Judge says Daily Stormer founder must pay $14 million for harassing Jewish realtor Tuesday 1:01 PM
- Graphic depiction of suicide cut from Netflix’s ’13 Reasons Why’ Tuesday 12:55 PM
- Streaming titles seize 2019 Emmy nominations Tuesday 12:19 PM
The internet was not happy with the first lady’s airplane-embarking wardrobe choices.
The internet exploded Tuesday morning when a photo showed First Lady Melania Trump wearing black stilettos on her way to visit the devastating aftermath of Hurricane Harvey in Texas.
Though the Trumps were taking a plane to meet emergency crews and victims in Copus Christi, all anyone could talk about was how effectively FLOTUS was going to do that in her “Top Gun aviators” and four-inch heels.
@MELANIATRUMP LOSE THE STILETTOS!!!! YOU ARE GOING TO TEXAS..NOT A FASHION SHOW!!!!!— Eve Williams (@EveWill92700790) August 29, 2017
melania trump doesn't care what shoes she wears to a flood zone cuz she thinks she can FLOATUS— Megan Amram (@meganamram) August 29, 2017
Melania is now standing in a puddle in 4-inch heels acting like a first lady -- give us a break. https://t.co/TNGAfVgLg1— Perez Hilton (@PerezHilton) August 29, 2017
Once she touched down in Texas, however, the first lady exited the plane wearing a more modest ensemble—including a black baseball cap that read FLOTUS and a pair of white tennis shoes.
Whether she changed footwear after reading the internet’s reaction, or planned her wardrobe change in advance, Melania did not show up to an emergency disaster zone in heels after all—so we could probably give her a break. And even if she did keep her heels on, the internet’s scrutiny of the first lady is an example of how women are critiqued more for their appearance than for their actions. A trip that should have focused on what happened when the pair met with victims instead turned into an episode of Fashion Police.
The couple is scheduled to visit Austin, Texas, on Tuesday evening. The internet will let you know shortly whether her shoes are too fashion-forward.
Vanna Vasquez is a former intern at the Daily Dot whose work focused on viral news, politics, and YouTube. A graduate of the University of Texas at Austin, she has also published bylines with BuzzFeed.