- Teen girls on TikTok have convinced the internet that they eat their tampons 4 Years Ago
- Twitch streamer faces criticism for trying to defend racist jokes 4 Years Ago
- How to stream Raiders vs. Vikings in Week 3 Today 12:55 PM
- NRA calls Beto O’Rourke ‘AR-15 salesman of the month’ in wake of buyback proposal Today 12:03 PM
- After 23 deaths, Sean Bean is tired of getting killed on-screen Today 11:48 AM
- Stephen Miller has a girlfriend—and people are stunned Today 11:35 AM
- Mickey Rourke says Robert De Niro iced him out of ‘The Irishman’ Today 11:07 AM
- Conservative men are melting down over Elizabeth Warren’s speech Today 10:40 AM
- People are calling rapper Tekashi 69 a ‘snitch’ for outing gang members Today 10:16 AM
- Greta Thunberg tells Congress to ‘listen to the scientists’ about climate crisis Today 9:55 AM
- Maybe we should start taking Tom DeLonge seriously about UFOs Today 9:11 AM
- Get ready to argue about the alternate-history politics of HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ Today 8:53 AM
- Third instance of Justin Trudeau wearing racist makeup emerges after he apologized for first 2 Today 8:45 AM
- 6 must-watch college football games to stream this weekend Today 8:12 AM
- What is the Hinge dating app, and how does it work? Today 7:00 AM
Kermit the Frog may or may not be in a new relationship, but he is definitely a dick.
The famous Muppet and his longtime love, Miss Piggy, officially announced their conscious uncoupling in early August. But on Tuesday, not a month after the split, sultry photos of Kermit and a new woman—or pig, rather—have surfaced.
People reported “Kermit, who is still working with Miss Piggy on her late-night talk show Up Late with Miss Piggy…has been spotted around town numerous times with a head of marketing at ABC named Denise.”
For Kermit’s part, he has denied that Denise is anyone special.
Allow us to decipher this: Kermit is very much with Denise, but not prepared to nut up and DTR (define the relationship) publicly. He’s also afraid of how Miss Piggy will react to the news of him dating a marketing executive at ABC, the network putting on their new show, despite the fact that she’s been seen on the arm of Hollywood hunks Topher Grace and Liam Hemsworth.
A photo posted by Liam Hemsworth (@liamhemsworth) on
But somehow, despite the clear evidence that the mopey, underweight frog is the problem, many took aim at Denise and blamed her for bringing down Kermit and Piggy’s four-decade romance.
“Do you see this pig?” Jezebel asked. “The one photographed above, biting her pen like it’s a throbbing, 1-2 inch long piece of felt? This, my friends, is Denise, and it’s recently come to my attention that she’s the homewrecking hog America’s beloved Kermit the Frog left America’s more beloved Miss Piggy for. And I would like to know the fuck she thinks she is.”
Others agree with the assessment that Denise, a high-powered and beautiful pig, is responsible for Kermit and Piggy’s demise.
You are a homewrecker.
— Natasha B. (@NatashaSays) September 2, 2015
This frog denise bitch, clearly a skanky homewrecker.
— tab (@TabDeGeneres) September 2, 2015
Denise is a home wrecker and we all know it.
— Eliel Cruz (@elielcruz) September 1, 2015
Sure, the image of Denise biting her pen and giving Kermit a come-hither stare is forward, but this is a pig who knows what she wants. When this moment transpired, Kermit and Piggy were already broken up, ergo, there was no home to wreck. “Homewrecker” is a loaded term which, more times than not, places the blame on the woman. Are we seriously blaming Denise for pursuing a single man?
The Tampa Bay Times points out, “Well, it’s been one whole month and Kermit already has a Kardashian-looking jezebel at his side. His new girlfriend is named “Denise.” And we’re all, like, GIANT EYE ROLL.”
This is all misplaced anger at Kermit for moving on so quickly from his longtime love. Denise should not be shamed for her beauty and confidence. Kermit should be so lucky to be associated with a faux-Kardashian.
And others are placing the blame on Piggy, trying to pit the two powerful and successful female pigs against one another by saying that she drove Kermit into Denise’s arms.
While we can all agree that this is a transparent marketing ploy for The Muppets, the Jen-and-Angelina redux rhetoric used to describe the women in this situation is disheartening.
The Guardian gets it:
“It’s now clear that he [Kermit] was also always colluding with the producers and directors to make sure that Miss Piggy looked like a violent, egotistical harridan and he was seen as the sensitive, Rainbow-Connection-bleating ex-hippie who gracefully put up with both her personality and living in her shadow. Woe is him, we all said – and that’s exactly what he wanted us to say.”
It’s time Kermit rib-bit the dust.
Screengrab via ABC/YouTube
Marisa Kabas is a lifestyle reporter and activist. Her work has been published by Fusion, Fast Company, and Today. She’s also served as an editorial campaigns director for Purpose PBC, a social movement incubator.