- Gabrielle Union deserves better from Terry Crews Tuesday 11:12 PM
- T.I. publicly apologizes to daughters after Kobe Bryant’s death Tuesday 8:46 PM
- ‘Squash the boss’: Labor union seemingly unknowingly posted furry fetish art Tuesday 8:04 PM
- TikTok user pretending to be lab technician who has contracted coronavirus Tuesday 7:08 PM
- Caroline Calloway says she plans to campaign for Bernie Sanders Tuesday 6:23 PM
- Justin Bieber, Snoop Dogg, millions of others sign petition to make Kobe Bryant new NBA logo Tuesday 5:39 PM
- No, Lana Del Rey did not cry because Billie Eilish won album of the year Tuesday 4:48 PM
- People are exposing their eyeballs to phone flash for this TikTok challenge Tuesday 3:55 PM
- Watch Mike Bloomberg try to shake a dog’s mouth Tuesday 3:41 PM
- ‘Rey who?’ is the funniest meme to emerge from ‘The Rise of Skywalker’ Tuesday 3:30 PM
- AI beat the CDC to the punch on coronavirus warnings Tuesday 3:21 PM
- What exactly is a ‘large boulder the size of a small boulder’? Tuesday 2:49 PM
- Mom of ‘Success Kid’ says Steve King can’t use her son’s meme for ‘repulsive’ campaign Tuesday 2:00 PM
- Jake Paul can’t escape Logan Paul’s shadow—even if that loyalty has hurt his career Tuesday 1:13 PM
- Kobe Bryant’s Oscar-winning ‘Dear Basketball’ is now available to stream for free (updated) Tuesday 12:21 PM
A woman at a Pennsylvania store was caught on video making racist comments to a Puerto Rican woman and mocking her for speaking Spanish.
Johanny Santana from Abington, Pennsylvania, recorded the encounter and shared it to Facebook on June 30.
Acabo de discutir con una persona racista Dirán 😂que soy una BOBA pero noes así kise grabar la situación y darle provecho a un VIDEO que se ve UNA PERSONA CON TANTO ODIO Asia los LATINOS que este video se comparta para que personas como ELLA SE ABOCHORNEN 🇵🇷🇵🇷🇵🇷ELLA LE HABLABA MALO A UN NIÑO Y ASU ABUELO LUEGO YO ME METÍ Y SALÍ CON EL CELULAR A GRABAR LA SITUACIÓN NO PODÍA CRRER Q VERDADERA MENTE EL RAZISMO ESTAPosted by Johanny Ramos on Sunday, June 30, 2019
Santana told NBC Philadelphia that the white woman in the video started cursing when they were waiting in line and overheard a grandfather and grandson speak in Spanish.
“The boy comes back and asks another question [to the cashier] and that’s when the woman, who was next to me, started cursing,” she said.
The video shows the woman arguing with Santana, who also traded some of her own insults.
“You problem for speaking Spanish?” Santana asks at the beginning of the video.
“Umm can you stop talking to me?” says the woman.
“No you not talk for puta because puta is no good,” Santana responds.
“You’re puta,” the woman says.
A few moments later, when Santana tries to say something else, the woman laughs, and tells her, “I was born here, you don’t belong here.”
Santana says, “I don’t care, I don’t care.”
“Go back to your country,” the woman says, while Santana repeats, “I don’t care.”
“We want your fucking money back, you’re illegal,” the woman continues. “You should be deported.”
“I hope Trump deports you,” the woman says a few seconds later, while Santana continues to argue back.
“Adios bitch,” she says, “I’m paying cash.”
She then brandishes a bundle of dollar notes and says, “Legal money, not drug money.”
Santana told NBC that she regretted cursing back at the woman but also felt “powerless because I didn’t speak English well enough to be able to properly respond to her.”
The story was initially reported by NBC Philadelphia on July 10, but the video garnered more traction on Sunday after a Twitter post by user @_SJPeace_.
"I pay with cash. Legal money. Not drug money"— Amy 🛡 (@antifADHD) July 21, 2019
Does she realize that drugs are typically bought with cash? Of course not, because she's ignorant and racist. Can we find out where she works please?
What bothers me the most is that no one speaks up for this woman!— lady.of.the.woods (@ladyofthewoods_) July 21, 2019
This is how #Trump thinks he is making America Great Again— Dennis Menace (@MenacePunks) July 21, 2019
Increased attention to the video follows a week of tense conversations of race. President Donald Trump went on a stream of Twitter attacks against four congresswomen of color, telling them to “go back” to an unspecified country. All four congresswomen—Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.), Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.), Ayanna Pressley (D-Mass.), and Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) are U.S. citizens.
- Cop under investigation after implying Ocasio-Cortez should be shot
- Pro-MAGA pageant queen stripped of title over ‘offensive’ tweets
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Samira Sadeque is a New York-based journalist reporting on immigration, sexual violence, and mental health, and will sometimes write about memes and dinosaurs too. Her work also appears in Reuters, NPR, and NBC among other publications. She graduated from Columbia Journalism School, and her work has been nominated for SAJA awards. Follow: @Samideque