- Trump kicks chief of staff out of Oval Office for coughing during interview 1 Year Ago
- Netflix announces Samurai version of ‘Game of Thrones’ 1 Year Ago
- The 8-Bit Guy: Why retro tech and restoration isn’t just for ‘old white guys’ Today 7:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 MTV Awards for free Today 7:00 AM
- Why Hillary Clinton is getting blamed for a recent spate of unconnected deaths Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch Nick Jr. online for free Today 5:30 AM
- People are not falling for these ICE ‘propaganda’ photos Sunday 4:23 PM
- CLIF Bar and KIND Snacks are in a bizarre social media war Sunday 2:55 PM
- Caillou is how tall? Sunday 1:32 PM
- No, that video of a Boston Dynamics robot attacking its creators is not real Sunday 12:40 PM
- Alex Jones places $1 million bounty on culprit who planted child porn on his InfoWars server Sunday 12:03 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ star’s new Netflix prank show is receiving backlash Sunday 9:04 AM
- How to watch ‘City on a Hill’ for free Sunday 8:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Euphoria’ for free Sunday 7:00 AM
- Meet the home brewer turning beer into a case for net neutrality Sunday 6:30 AM
Andrea Raffin/Shutterstock (Licensed)
The meme may have influenced the child actor to deactivate her Twitter account.
A new meme is on the rise: Homophobic Millie Bobby Brown. Fans of the 14-year-old Stranger Things star might be shocked to read a deluge of stories on Twitter about her confronting people with homophobia, Islamophobia, and other bigotry. They would be rightfully surprised; the stories aren’t real.
The meme appears to have started with a series of tweets on November 17, 2017, from now-suspended Twitter account @KelsFiona:
— USE MY DOSH LINK PLS (@kobychill) February 18, 2018
In the replies to this now infamous tweet, the hashtag #TakeDownMillieBobbyBrown was born. It has burbled under the surface for the past several months, but Pride Month appears to have caused it to boil over. A quick look in the hashtag reveals stories of assault, verbal abuse, and even photoshopped images meant to appear as posts from her social media.
i was walking along with a pride shirt on when a car hit me, i saw millie bobby brown laughing behind the wheel just before she ran me over, she then backed up and ran me over again and i broke every bone in my body. she posted this on her sc soon after. #takedownmilliebobbybrown pic.twitter.com/3zdhTlzvkJ
— seren (@Igbtcapshaw) June 10, 2018
— will.je.suis (@oldfordfocus) June 13, 2018
i met millie at subway and i asked her for a picture. she took my phone and smashed it and said “i have no time to talk to faggots” and then proceeded to spit and fart in my sandwich. “maybe youll lose some weight now you fat bitch!” #TakeDownMillieBobbyBrown
— dumb b*tch (@milasaysyeehaw1) June 10, 2018
There’s a long, and often funny, history of posting fake quotes from celebrities on the internet. ClickHole has a whole section for it. The joke is to make the quote or story so ridiculous that it could not possibly be believed. Many Millie Bobby Brown fans seem to feel that because of her sweet nature, and past public support for GLAAD, these jokes fall into that category.
A girl that hated Millie once posted stories about how Millie ripped off her hijab and then people started faking fake stories under the #takedownmilliebobbybrown but it's literall the funniest shit ever ,, it's just sarcasm it doesn't have a real reason
— ً (@tearsfinn) June 11, 2018
the fact that gay twitter has collectively agreed to portray millie bobby brown as a raging homophobe is one of the funniest things on earth
— ｊａｒｏｄ (@jarodzsz) June 7, 2018
However, others have taken issue with the meme. What started as clearly false stories has spiraled out into fake social media posts as well, which some may take as actual evidence of bigotry from the child star. In addition, its use of homophobia as a punchline, and the target being a literal kid, has drawn ire from many. The backlash increased when Brown deactivated her Twitter account on Tuesday, a move that some believe is in response to the hashtag.
MILLIE BOBBY BROWN DELETED HER TWITTER ACCOUNT! THIS IS WHY:
millie gets so much hate. And some people were like 'lets try to make millie look like a homophobic! And use the hashtag #TakeDownMillieBobbyBrown !'
WTF! I AM SORRY BUT WTF! SHE IS ONLY 14 HOW CAN U DO THIS TO HER?!
— annatjuhhx (@annatjuhhx) June 13, 2018
Y’all aware that your “joke” about Millie bobby brown can be taken in many ways and it’s gotten to the point where she’s deleted her Twitter. I understand that it’s “just a joke,” but y’all need to learn when to stop because jokes can be so harmful sometimes
— Ella S.H (@EllaStacey__) June 13, 2018
pretending millie bobby brown, a literal child, is a violent homophobe for memes is fucking disgusting and not funny at all. You are grown adults, editing photos of her with captions that include the f slur, violence against lgbt community for comedy and it’s fucking gross.
— caa (@zunbarya) June 12, 2018
H/T Buzzfeed News