- Bob Iger steps down as Disney CEO, prompting conspiracy theories Tuesday 5:53 PM
- Bhad Bhabie threatens to kill Skai Jackson amid feud involving their moms Tuesday 4:51 PM
- Body camera shows officer boasting about arresting a 6-year-old Tuesday 3:58 PM
- Singer Duffy opens up about the rape, captivity that led her to stop singing Tuesday 3:51 PM
- Cynthia Nixon embodies feminist rage in viral video Tuesday 3:30 PM
- Samsung factory shuts down amid confirmed coronavirus case Tuesday 3:08 PM
- Bebe Rexha says she won’t be ‘imprisoned’ by bipolar disorder Tuesday 2:33 PM
- The ‘your music saved me’ meme celebrates the wackiest influences of our time Tuesday 2:20 PM
- This guy slapped his mom’s boobs for a TikTok and, honestly, it’s exhausting (updated) Tuesday 12:37 PM
- Jif peanut butter and Giphy have joined forces on how to pronounce ‘GIF’ Tuesday 12:19 PM
- This dad threw a 1-year HRT party for his trans son and the internet can’t get enough of it Tuesday 11:44 AM
- This petition wants Pornhub to be shut down for good Tuesday 11:03 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s speech voice is suspiciously like Obama’s Tuesday 10:56 AM
- Exposé about Bernie staffer’s Twitter leads to his firing—and an online class war Tuesday 10:40 AM
- Netflix adds Top 10 feature to showcase what’s popular Tuesday 10:24 AM
Study says only 1 in 4 Harvard students have sex—but the Internet says otherwise
A study has reported that only 1 in 4 Harvard students have sex on campus. But the internet reveals all.
The results are in: Harvard students are a bunch of sexless nerds. 24 percent of those graduating from the Ivy League institution this year didn’t have sex in college. In fact, 21 percent of all students surveyed indicated they were never in a romantic relationship of any sort during their time at the university.
The findings come to us by way of The Crimson, the Harvard campus newspaper. The survey dissects all kinds of demographic information, from family income to political affiliation. But here’s where the class of 2015 stands when it comes to sex:
The cliche, of course, is that Harvard students are too busy making the grade to nurture healthy romantic relationships. But this attitude isn’t really reflected in the campus chatter on the location-based social network YikYak. In fact, Harvard’s YikYak feed is just as sexually charged as you’d expect any college anonymous app to be:
There’s also this anonymous confession, which flies in the face of the Crimson‘s findings in the most succinct way possible:
A scan of Harvard rival Yale University’s feed makes no mention of the survey either. But it wasn’t tough to find evidence of hot, steamy Ivy League fucking on YikYak or the photo-sharing app Yeti.
(OK, yeah, those guys are probably virgins. But still.)
Most people believe that college is a time for rampant promiscuity, and statistics show that conception is not too far off the mark. According to one survey, a whopping 87 percent of college students report having had some form of sexual contact during their time in school.
It’s easy to think Harvard students are somehow more intellectually high-minded than other college students, which might lead some of us to mock them for being sexless nerds. But it seems that when it comes to sex, students at Harvard are just as libidinous as they would be anywhere else.
Dylan Love is an editorial consultant and journalist whose reporting interests include emergent technology, digital media, and Russian language and culture. He is a former staff writer for the Daily Dot, and his work has been published by Business Insider, International Business Times, Men's Journal, and the Next Web.