- Netflix thriller ‘Earthquake Bird’ can’t solve its own mystery Monday 4:45 PM
- Goop is selling an expensive ‘restraining arts’ BDSM kit Monday 4:17 PM
- Body positivity actress Lili Reinhart calls out Photoshopping app Monday 3:42 PM
- ‘Rick and Morty’ zeroes in on connections and leans into familiar territory Monday 3:30 PM
- People are sharing photos of how much they’ve changed in a decade Monday 2:30 PM
- A few of our favorite things on Newegg are on sale for Black Friday Monday 2:15 PM
- Disney adds ‘Bob’s Burgers’ movie back to release schedule after accidentally yanking it Monday 2:02 PM
- Ocasio-Cortez launches petition demanding Stephen Miller’s resignation Monday 1:24 PM
- Prince Andrew’s defense against child sex crimes stokes conspiracy theory flames Monday 1:20 PM
- More people may be looking to cancel Disney+ than Netflix Monday 1:09 PM
- Monday Night Football: How to stream Chiefs vs. Chargers live Monday 1:00 PM
- After days of deadly protests, Iran implements ‘largest internet shutdown ever’ Monday 12:55 PM
- ‘Disney Plus and thrust’ is apparently the new Netflix and Chill Monday 12:32 PM
- Woman fired, sued after coworker shared their sexts Monday 12:22 PM
- Group running GoFundMe for border wall breaks ground without permits Monday 11:47 AM
A list of 22 rules a woman wrote out for her boyfriend has some folks laughing, but it may be a glimpse into an abusive relationship.
In a now-deleted tweet—which apparently goes back to 2017 but is going viral again—someone who purchased a used car posted a piece of paper he found inside with a list of relationship rules. “You are NOT to have a single girls phone number” states the first rule, with the NOT underlined in purple pen. This proceeds a demand not to follow any girls on social media.
The sprinkling of emojis and colorful inks throughout the list give it an outward appearance of a cute “honey-do” sort of thing, and the rules are so unreasonable, many are finding it funny. But there is nothing adorable about the demands the girlfriend is making.
BREAKING NEWS: 'You are not to LOOK at a single girl and you must tell me you love me once a day': Girlfriend's bizarre list of strict rules for her boyfriend goes viral. The list demands 22 things her boyfriend can't do such as not taking longer than 10-minutes to text her back. pic.twitter.com/USIUJUYiep— Dave Vescio (@DaveVescio) October 8, 2018
This girlfriend’s “rules” can be used as an introduction to the National Domestic Violence Hotline’s list of red flags. For example, one of the red flags of emotional abuse is “monitoring where you go, who you call and who you spend time with.” Sixteen of the girlfriend’s 22 rules fit this description.
The rules don’t just demonstrate an obsessive, dangerous jealousy over other women. They also explicitly name several friends of the boyfriend who he is no longer allowed to hang out with. One rule even bans speaking of some friends, saying, “You are NOT to bring up Tyler, Noah, Deven, or Josh ever again.” This kind of jealousy over friendship, and isolating a person from their friends, are also signs of emotional abuse. It creates an environment where the person has no one to turn to for help or support. As the number of people a person can talk to about their relationship lessens, the ability the abuser has to control and hurt their partner increases.
When you see the control in a relationship laid out as plainly as rule seven—“If girls come up to you at any place or anytime you are to WALK away”—it can seem too ridiculous to be real. It’s an impossible request, how could anyone ask that of their partner? But emotional abuse is full of impossible requests and expectations and subsequent punishment. If you have any doubt how serious this really is, look no further than rule 16: “If I catch you around girls I kill you.”
H/T Daily Mail
Alex Dalbey is a writer and zinester currently living in Saint Paul, Minnesota. They have written for The Daily Dot, Kill Screen, The Lingerie Addict, and Bullet Points.