- Is Trump defiling the U.S. flag in this MAGA dude’s artwork? Sunday 4:41 PM
- White woman claims she invented sleep bonnets, selling them for $100 Sunday 4:03 PM
- Even real cats are transfixed by the enigma that is the ‘Cats’ trailer Sunday 3:04 PM
- Wait, how tall is Peppa Pig? Sunday 1:55 PM
- Twitter suspends Iranian state media outlets for harassing members of a religious minority Sunday 1:06 PM
- Pro-MAGA pageant queen stripped of title over ‘offensive’ tweets Sunday 11:52 AM
- Marvel unveiled its Phase 4 plans at San Diego Comic-Con Sunday 9:16 AM
- How a queer Instagram is helping fight the opioid epidemic in Appalachia Sunday 6:30 AM
- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
People are more concerned with this woman’s age than her being a school shooting threat
The manhunt for a potential killer is not funny.
On Tuesday, police in Colorado released the photo of a woman on the run who they said had made “credible” threats, purchased firearms, and was “obsessed” with the Columbine school shooting. The FBI manhunt for 18-year-old Sol Pais, a white woman who was considered “extremely dangerous,” led to schools around Denver putting students on lockdown.
She is a white female, 18 years old, approximately 5'5" in height, with brown hair. She was last seen wearing a black t-shirt, camouflage pants, and black boots. She was last seen in the foothills of Jefferson County 2/3 pic.twitter.com/jHOqqTUjFE— Jeffco Sheriff (@jeffcosheriffco) April 16, 2019
However, some people online were less concerned with locating a violent threat and more interested in commenting on the suspect’s looks. For many on Twitter, it was her wrinkles that were the scariest thing about her, because the worst thing a woman can do is not look youthful and lie about her age, as opposed to, you know, shooting up an entire school.
18? Those years have not been kind.— I'm Recused But.... (@spiderstumbled) April 17, 2019
she looks 40— seth (@sethpatriick) April 17, 2019
Meth and Fox News will add a couple decades to your head.— BobbyG (@bobbygee610) April 17, 2019
Please find her, but um... Like... Are y'all sure she's 18 because...— Cherrelle (@relleunique) April 16, 2019
18 going on 45.— Jeff Robinson (@jeffryanrobins1) April 17, 2019
18? Check her ID. Sure she's not pushing 40?— David Stehle (@davidstehle) April 17, 2019
Maybe that's not the suspect, but rather the suspect's Mom?
18 in dog years— Duchess (@AngoraDeb) April 17, 2019
That's the oldest-looking 18 year-old I've ever seen— Jacki Vinson (@jackivinson) April 17, 2019
This woman is at least 90.— annabel lee (@Poeslilhelper1) April 17, 2019
On Wednesday morning, the manhunt for Pai was over. Search and SWAT teams found her in a forest in Clear Creek County, Colorado. She is dead, but authorities have not yet released the specific circumstances.
Dean Phillips, FBI special agent in charge, said Pais traveled from Miami to Colorado and had “made some concerning comments in the past.” He also said she was “infatuated” with the 1999 Columbine high school shooting, which will mark its 20th anniversary on Saturday, and added that after leaving the airport in Colorado, she bought a pump-action shotgun and ammunition.
Samira Sadeque is a New York-based journalist reporting on immigration, sexual violence, and mental health, and will sometimes write about memes and dinosaurs too. Her work also appears in Reuters, NPR, and NBC among other publications. She graduated from Columbia Journalism School, and her work has been nominated for SAJA awards. Follow: @Samideque