- Woman says Lyft driver tried to kidnap her 2 Months Ago
- Debunking the right-wing conspiracy theories from today’s impeachment hearing Today 4:29 PM
- Maroon 5 approves of the latest TikTok trend Today 3:54 PM
- ‘One month left in the decade’ meme wants to know what you’ve accomplished Today 3:53 PM
- Facebook Pay is the latest way to send your friends money Today 3:31 PM
- Diving into ‘The Mandalorian’s first big shocker Today 3:17 PM
- Disney+ will allow password sharing—to an extent Today 1:12 PM
- Black server says manager refused to discipline coworkers who sent racist receipt Today 12:47 PM
- Who is Jonah Hauer-King, Disney’s new Prince Eric? Today 12:47 PM
- Cut Katherine Langford ‘Avengers: Endgame’ scene lands on Disney+ Today 12:22 PM
- Planned Parenthood app to show abortion-seeking users their nearest options Today 12:21 PM
- ‘The Imagineering Story’ offers touching insight into Walt Disney’s vision Today 11:57 AM
- YouTube mom who was charged with child abuse dead at 48 Today 11:39 AM
- Every Marvel Cinematic Universe movie and show missing from Disney+ (and when they’ll show up) Today 11:35 AM
- HBO Max is planning a ‘Friends’ reunion special Today 11:10 AM
A video of a British tourist yelling at and attacking chicken vendors in Morocco has gone viral, sparking discussion about animal rights, local customs, and hypocritical tourists.
The minute-long clip was taken in a marketplace in Tangier and shows a woman with a British accent screaming at a group of vendors who are standing with several caged chickens.
The video starts with her yelling at the men in a condescending tone, “You can’t read, can you?” She gives them the middle finger, and the person filming returns the gesture.
A video of a British tourist harassing a chicken seller for keeping chickens in a cage, has sparked outrage in Morocco. pic.twitter.com/D6EgJEmPdC— Africa Facts Zone (@AfricaFactsZone) August 31, 2019
The woman then ties up her hair, climbs over the cages, and starts trying to pry one open with her hands and mouth. When one of the vendors tries to grab onto the cage, she bites his hands and screams. Others try to stop her as she begins to tear the cage and she roars, “Get off!” in their faces. Onlookers can be heard telling people to call the police.
In a second video, the woman tries to punch the chicken seller in the face before trying to grab at the cages again. She thrashes at anyone trying to stop her before the video cuts off.
The abusive British tourist went further to trying to punch the Moroccan chicken seller. pic.twitter.com/Jx3NtuWLin— Africa Facts Zone (@AfricaFactsZone) September 1, 2019
The tourist has not been identified publicly, but Morocco World News reports that the woman was taken to the hospital in hysterics by police. In response to the video, many people said the police should have taken her to jail instead. Others called for her to be deported from the country.
Did you really just step into that country, bite a man and try to ruin his business? You need to be charged with assault. These people showed so much restraint and good character for being able to handle you so delicately after the way you treated them. They didnt deserve that. pic.twitter.com/5v7F3na4wO— Vegan Princess 💕🌼🌿 (@PlantBasedKaysh) September 1, 2019
Someone put her in a cage— тανυ namu (@Kaneki_is_loved) September 2, 2019
Kick her out of the country— The Lazy Avenger (@NepuMpho) August 31, 2019
The videos have also brought up a discussion about the hypocrisy of white tourists who visit Morocco and other African nations. Many questioned whether the woman is as vocal about the cages chickens are kept in where she comes from, or if they’re “out of sight, out of mind” for her there.
I dont understand this person going to another country and doing this? As if Britain is vegan 🤔 start at home sis— 2+2=5 (@lyndsayghughes) September 1, 2019
These white people are getting funnier and funnier aren’t they?— ＡＡＵＳ (@aausthebad) September 1, 2019
Where do you think McDonald keep their cows and chiken? In a castle? https://t.co/fDqeyzOkbh
It is unclear what the woman planned to do with the chickens after freeing them.
Alex Dalbey is a writer and zinester currently living in Saint Paul, Minnesota. They have written for The Daily Dot, Kill Screen, The Lingerie Addict, and Bullet Points.