- Animator for Netflix’s ‘Carmen Sandiego’ says he was fired after asking for fair pay Sunday 3:17 PM
- YouTube reverses decision to remove creators’ badges Sunday 1:47 PM
- How video game developer Valve got served secret subpoena as part of FBI’s counterterrorism fight Sunday 12:31 PM
- Aron Eisenberg, ‘Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’ actor, dead at 50 Sunday 11:35 AM
- Who needs glass slippers? This Cinderella cosplayer upgraded with a stunning glass arm Sunday 10:19 AM
- How to check if Yahoo owes you $358 Sunday 9:25 AM
- How to stream Bears vs. Redskins on Monday Night Football Sunday 7:00 AM
- What are the best alternatives to the electoral college? Sunday 6:30 AM
- The best PS4 games you can’t play anywhere else Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 Emmy Awards Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 5 Sunday 4:00 AM
- Former developer at software company deletes his code to protest its ties to ICE Saturday 4:21 PM
- A mysterious website is doxing Hong Kong protesters and journalists Saturday 1:44 PM
- The best ‘Skyrim’ followers and how to get them Saturday 1:26 PM
- Why Joel Osteen gets cyberbullied every time Houston floods Saturday 12:40 PM
A video of a British tourist yelling at and attacking chicken vendors in Morocco has gone viral, sparking discussion about animal rights, local customs, and hypocritical tourists.
The minute-long clip was taken in a marketplace in Tangier and shows a woman with a British accent screaming at a group of vendors who are standing with several caged chickens.
The video starts with her yelling at the men in a condescending tone, “You can’t read, can you?” She gives them the middle finger, and the person filming returns the gesture.
A video of a British tourist harassing a chicken seller for keeping chickens in a cage, has sparked outrage in Morocco. pic.twitter.com/D6EgJEmPdC— Africa Facts Zone (@AfricaFactsZone) August 31, 2019
The woman then ties up her hair, climbs over the cages, and starts trying to pry one open with her hands and mouth. When one of the vendors tries to grab onto the cage, she bites his hands and screams. Others try to stop her as she begins to tear the cage and she roars, “Get off!” in their faces. Onlookers can be heard telling people to call the police.
In a second video, the woman tries to punch the chicken seller in the face before trying to grab at the cages again. She thrashes at anyone trying to stop her before the video cuts off.
The abusive British tourist went further to trying to punch the Moroccan chicken seller. pic.twitter.com/Jx3NtuWLin— Africa Facts Zone (@AfricaFactsZone) September 1, 2019
The tourist has not been identified publicly, but Morocco World News reports that the woman was taken to the hospital in hysterics by police. In response to the video, many people said the police should have taken her to jail instead. Others called for her to be deported from the country.
Did you really just step into that country, bite a man and try to ruin his business? You need to be charged with assault. These people showed so much restraint and good character for being able to handle you so delicately after the way you treated them. They didnt deserve that. pic.twitter.com/5v7F3na4wO— Vegan Princess 💕🌼🌿 (@PlantBasedKaysh) September 1, 2019
Someone put her in a cage— тανυ namu (@Kaneki_is_loved) September 2, 2019
Kick her out of the country— The Lazy Avenger (@NepuMpho) August 31, 2019
The videos have also brought up a discussion about the hypocrisy of white tourists who visit Morocco and other African nations. Many questioned whether the woman is as vocal about the cages chickens are kept in where she comes from, or if they’re “out of sight, out of mind” for her there.
I dont understand this person going to another country and doing this? As if Britain is vegan 🤔 start at home sis— 2+2=5 (@lyndsayghughes) September 1, 2019
These white people are getting funnier and funnier aren’t they?— ＡＬＦＥＲＮ ＡＡＵＳ🧜🏻♂️ (@aausthebad) September 1, 2019
Where do you think McDonald keep their cows and chiken? In a castle? https://t.co/fDqeyzOkbh
It is unclear what the woman planned to do with the chickens after freeing them.
Alex Dalbey is a writer and zinester currently living in Saint Paul, Minnesota. They have written for The Daily Dot, Kill Screen, The Lingerie Addict, and Bullet Points.