- People on Twitter ask whose ancestors would’ve passed immigrant ‘wealth test’ Monday 6:54 PM
- Kobe Bryant helicopter crash mocked in teen’s TikTok video Monday 6:38 PM
- Chiefs, Bears, Packers have Twitter accounts hacked Monday 3:48 PM
- Washington Post reporter suspended amid backlash over Kobe Bryant tweet Monday 3:08 PM
- America is united in hating Ken Starr’s impeachment hat Monday 3:01 PM
- In ‘Cuties,’ the contradictions of growing up come to a head Monday 1:55 PM
- Racist tweets blame fruit bat soup for coronavirus Monday 1:25 PM
- What is the #ILeftTheGOP movement? Monday 1:21 PM
- The Grammys were weird and sad—but the Billy Porter hat memes offered some levity Monday 12:36 PM
- Auschwitz Museum calls on Facebook to ban Holocaust denialism Monday 11:59 AM
- YouTuber who said his girlfriend was dead now says he faked it Monday 11:42 AM
- Review: Kentucky Route Zero is one of the most magical games ever made Monday 11:00 AM
- Backlash grows against Clearview as lawsuit looms Monday 10:58 AM
- Tyler the Creator calls out the Grammys for racism over ‘Rap Album’ win Monday 10:25 AM
- Democrats call on John Bolton to testify after book bombshell Monday 9:56 AM
A video of a British tourist yelling at and attacking chicken vendors in Morocco has gone viral, sparking discussion about animal rights, local customs, and hypocritical tourists.
The minute-long clip was taken in a marketplace in Tangier and shows a woman with a British accent screaming at a group of vendors who are standing with several caged chickens.
The video starts with her yelling at the men in a condescending tone, “You can’t read, can you?” She gives them the middle finger, and the person filming returns the gesture.
A video of a British tourist harassing a chicken seller for keeping chickens in a cage, has sparked outrage in Morocco. pic.twitter.com/D6EgJEmPdC— Africa Facts Zone (@AfricaFactsZone) August 31, 2019
The woman then ties up her hair, climbs over the cages, and starts trying to pry one open with her hands and mouth. When one of the vendors tries to grab onto the cage, she bites his hands and screams. Others try to stop her as she begins to tear the cage and she roars, “Get off!” in their faces. Onlookers can be heard telling people to call the police.
In a second video, the woman tries to punch the chicken seller in the face before trying to grab at the cages again. She thrashes at anyone trying to stop her before the video cuts off.
The abusive British tourist went further to trying to punch the Moroccan chicken seller. pic.twitter.com/Jx3NtuWLin— Africa Facts Zone (@AfricaFactsZone) September 1, 2019
The tourist has not been identified publicly, but Morocco World News reports that the woman was taken to the hospital in hysterics by police. In response to the video, many people said the police should have taken her to jail instead. Others called for her to be deported from the country.
Did you really just step into that country, bite a man and try to ruin his business? You need to be charged with assault. These people showed so much restraint and good character for being able to handle you so delicately after the way you treated them. They didnt deserve that. pic.twitter.com/5v7F3na4wO— Vegan Princess 💕🌼🌿 (@PlantBasedKaysh) September 1, 2019
Someone put her in a cage— тανυ namu (@Kaneki_is_loved) September 2, 2019
Kick her out of the country— The Lazy Avenger (@NepuMpho) August 31, 2019
The videos have also brought up a discussion about the hypocrisy of white tourists who visit Morocco and other African nations. Many questioned whether the woman is as vocal about the cages chickens are kept in where she comes from, or if they’re “out of sight, out of mind” for her there.
I dont understand this person going to another country and doing this? As if Britain is vegan 🤔 start at home sis— 2+2=5 (@lyndsayghughes) September 1, 2019
These white people are getting funnier and funnier aren’t they?— ＡＡＵＳ (@aausthebad) September 1, 2019
Where do you think McDonald keep their cows and chiken? In a castle? https://t.co/fDqeyzOkbh
It is unclear what the woman planned to do with the chickens after freeing them.
Alex Dalbey is a writer and zinester currently living in Saint Paul, Minnesota. They have written for The Daily Dot, Kill Screen, The Lingerie Addict, and Bullet Points.