- The best Korean beauty products for $15 or less 2 Years Ago
- PewDiePie’s reign as the No. 1 YouTuber seems to be over 2 Years Ago
- Amazon’s ‘Hanna’ miniseries offers a more conventional take on the teen spy thriller 2 Years Ago
- Conservative writer tweets about bombing a university after women are hired Today 10:16 AM
- YouTube star Ice Poseidon reportedly raided by FBI Today 10:11 AM
- Devin Nunes is threatening to sue more people who mock him on Twitter Today 10:10 AM
- The Economist faces blowback for asking if trans people should be sterilized Today 9:50 AM
- 8 doormats that we can’t believe actually exist Today 9:35 AM
- Why is political blog the Hill publishing op-eds by anti-LGBTQ hate groups? Today 9:16 AM
- A woman vice president? The 2020 men have some thoughts Today 9:00 AM
- 80 percent of Americans support reinstating net neutrality Today 8:38 AM
- Website secretly filmed 1,600 hotel guests for fetish live stream Today 8:18 AM
- The Holga 120N is the $40 camera you never knew you needed Today 8:13 AM
- Poster for ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’ gets mercilessly roasted Today 7:18 AM
- How to steam March Madness 2019 for free Today 7:00 AM
NY governor moves to make abortion rights part of state constitution
“As Washington seeks to limit women’s rights, we seek to protect them, and as they threaten reproductive rights, I propose a constitutional amendment to write Roe v. Wade into the New York State Constitution to prevent any attack on the right to choose,” he said. “We will not allow the progress of the women’s movement to be stopped, and we must seize this opportunity to bring the state and the nation forward and stand up for women’s health.”
New York’s abortion laws are more liberal than many states’, though abortion is only allowed after 24 weeks if the mother’s life is in danger. It doesn’t allow for a late-term abortion to protect the woman’s health or if the fetus isn’t viable. The NYCLU says this law puts women in danger.
“New York should be a progressive leader for women now that the Trump regime cannot be counted on to respect a woman and actually threatens to repeal Roe v Wade. But our abortion law has been out of date and shamefully inadequate for decades,” said NYCLU Executive Director Donna Lieberman in a statement.
Late-term abortions would be protected if Roe v. Wade is codified into the state’s constitution.
It’s been speculated that Cuomo is eyeing a 2020 run for president, and that many of his actions are an attempt to build momentum for that campaign. Then again, if this is what he thinks pandering to the base looks like, many liberal women don’t seem to mind.
Governor Cuomo sent out a mass email encouraging people to support abortion access in NYS and I’m crying now.
— ?? Lux Alptraum ?? (@LuxAlptraum) January 30, 2017
Jaya Saxena is a lifestyle writer and editor whose work focuses primarily on women's issues and web culture. Her writing has appeared in GQ, ELLE, the Toast, the New Yorker, Tthe Hairpin, BuzzFeed, Racked, Eater, Catapult, and others. She is the co-author of 'Dad Magazine,' the author of 'The Book Of Lost Recipes,' and the co-author of 'Basic Witches.'