- White nationalist Nick Fuentes is upset MTV aired his white nationalist views 3 Years Ago
- Juice WRLD had secret drug-littered Instagram, according to his ex-girlfriend 3 Years Ago
- Jersey City suspect posted anti-Semitic, anti-police materials online Today 10:30 AM
- Novaruu was banned from Twitch for 3 days—and she can’t understand why Today 10:12 AM
- Pete Buttigieg swears he’s not in the CIA Today 9:28 AM
- Greta Thunberg named ‘Time’ 2019 person of the year Today 9:28 AM
- The best gear and gadget gifts for Dad this holiday season Today 7:30 AM
- The 10 most important sci-fi films of the 2010s Today 7:00 AM
- Netflix advances beyond testosterone-fueled anime with subdued ‘Levius’ Today 6:00 AM
- Influencer accused of selling shirt she was supposed to promote Tuesday 8:42 PM
- Jameela Jamil dragged for comparing reproductive rights to landlord rights Tuesday 6:54 PM
- Trump campaign posts Thanos meme, totally misses point of ‘Endgame’ Tuesday 5:58 PM
- Petition calls for Apple to make a Baby Yoda emoji Tuesday 5:16 PM
- This BTS-Billie Eilish mashup is the most popular tweet of 2019 Tuesday 4:51 PM
- Michelle Wolf embraces vulgarity in ‘Joke Show’ Tuesday 4:24 PM
“As Washington seeks to limit women’s rights, we seek to protect them, and as they threaten reproductive rights, I propose a constitutional amendment to write Roe v. Wade into the New York State Constitution to prevent any attack on the right to choose,” he said. “We will not allow the progress of the women’s movement to be stopped, and we must seize this opportunity to bring the state and the nation forward and stand up for women’s health.”
New York’s abortion laws are more liberal than many states’, though abortion is only allowed after 24 weeks if the mother’s life is in danger. It doesn’t allow for a late-term abortion to protect the woman’s health or if the fetus isn’t viable. The NYCLU says this law puts women in danger.
“New York should be a progressive leader for women now that the Trump regime cannot be counted on to respect a woman and actually threatens to repeal Roe v Wade. But our abortion law has been out of date and shamefully inadequate for decades,” said NYCLU Executive Director Donna Lieberman in a statement.
Late-term abortions would be protected if Roe v. Wade is codified into the state’s constitution.
It’s been speculated that Cuomo is eyeing a 2020 run for president, and that many of his actions are an attempt to build momentum for that campaign. Then again, if this is what he thinks pandering to the base looks like, many liberal women don’t seem to mind.
Governor Cuomo sent out a mass email encouraging people to support abortion access in NYS and I’m crying now.
— ?? Lux Alptraum ?? (@LuxAlptraum) January 30, 2017
Jaya Saxena is a lifestyle writer and editor whose work focuses primarily on women's issues and web culture. Her writing has appeared in GQ, ELLE, the Toast, the New Yorker, Tthe Hairpin, BuzzFeed, Racked, Eater, Catapult, and others. She is the co-author of 'Dad Magazine,' the author of 'The Book Of Lost Recipes,' and the co-author of 'Basic Witches.'