- Ohio KKK rally met with massive counter-protest and witty signs from local businesses Saturday 5:06 PM
- Guy who said he stole drugs from MS-13 now says viral story is fake Saturday 4:07 PM
- Financial service company left 885 million private records exposed online Saturday 3:13 PM
- Sasha Obama went to prom and Twitter is delighted with the photos Saturday 2:22 PM
- Jon Voight says Trump is the greatest president since Lincoln in Twitter videos Saturday 1:31 PM
- #DeleteFacebook gains momentum after the platform refused to remove doctored Nancy Pelosi videos Saturday 11:58 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ failed women—and it’s a shame on its legacy Saturday 7:40 AM
- How to use Tor, the network that lets you browse the web anonymously Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to live stream Devin Haney vs. Antonio Moran on DAZN Saturday 7:00 AM
- Trump’s transphobic policies are disgusting—but they aren’t new Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Copa del Rey Final online for free Saturday 5:45 AM
- How to watch the DFB-Pokal final for free Saturday 5:30 AM
- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
- A ‘Black Mirror’-inspired miniseries is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America Friday 5:56 PM
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Friday 3:27 PM
NY governor moves to make abortion rights part of state constitution
“As Washington seeks to limit women’s rights, we seek to protect them, and as they threaten reproductive rights, I propose a constitutional amendment to write Roe v. Wade into the New York State Constitution to prevent any attack on the right to choose,” he said. “We will not allow the progress of the women’s movement to be stopped, and we must seize this opportunity to bring the state and the nation forward and stand up for women’s health.”
New York’s abortion laws are more liberal than many states’, though abortion is only allowed after 24 weeks if the mother’s life is in danger. It doesn’t allow for a late-term abortion to protect the woman’s health or if the fetus isn’t viable. The NYCLU says this law puts women in danger.
“New York should be a progressive leader for women now that the Trump regime cannot be counted on to respect a woman and actually threatens to repeal Roe v Wade. But our abortion law has been out of date and shamefully inadequate for decades,” said NYCLU Executive Director Donna Lieberman in a statement.
Late-term abortions would be protected if Roe v. Wade is codified into the state’s constitution.
It’s been speculated that Cuomo is eyeing a 2020 run for president, and that many of his actions are an attempt to build momentum for that campaign. Then again, if this is what he thinks pandering to the base looks like, many liberal women don’t seem to mind.
Governor Cuomo sent out a mass email encouraging people to support abortion access in NYS and I’m crying now.
— ?? Lux Alptraum ?? (@LuxAlptraum) January 30, 2017
Jaya Saxena is a lifestyle writer and editor whose work focuses primarily on women's issues and web culture. Her writing has appeared in GQ, ELLE, the Toast, the New Yorker, Tthe Hairpin, BuzzFeed, Racked, Eater, Catapult, and others. She is the co-author of 'Dad Magazine,' the author of 'The Book Of Lost Recipes,' and the co-author of 'Basic Witches.'