- How a queer Instagram is helping fight the opioid epidemic in Appalachia Today 6:30 AM
- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
- The crushing effects of Trump’s abortion ‘gag rule’ on healthcare Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to live stream Pacquiao vs. Thurman Saturday 6:20 AM
- Review: Hulu with Live TV ensures you always have something to watch Saturday 6:00 AM
- How to live stream UFC on ESPN 4: Rafael dos Anjos vs. Leon Edwards Saturday 5:49 AM
- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Friday 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Friday 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Friday 3:19 PM
The man, Amine Britel, shown in a CCTV video captured outside of his nightclub, went from calm to panicked in seconds as his spare vape battery exploded inside his jacket pocket.
The battery’s sudden meltdown created a shower of sparks and some impressive flames, and startled both the club owner and several bystanders. To his credit, the club’s bouncer stepped in to help Britel separate himself from the device, but not before Britel sustained burns to his abdomen and hand.
According to an interview with Britel, he was carrying the spare vape battery in his pocket along with some loose change. He believes that the coins may have touched the contacts of the battery and caused it to short out. Typically, vape units use large 18650 batteries for power, and they are rated to hold thousands of mAh, which means lots of potential energy waiting to be released.
Britel also noted that he bought the battery at a local shop, and that it was from “a Chinese brand,” which has not been named. The market for cheap vape batteries is booming, and products coming from unregulated sellers are fairly common, which increases the potential for these incidents.
H/T Daily Mail
Mike Wehner is a former tech editor for the Daily Dot who now writes for BGR. His work has appeared everywhere from Yahoo to CNN, and there’s a good chance his Apple Watch is dead right now.