- New Loch Ness monster video may just confirm giant eel theory Wednesday 8:04 PM
- Instagram to restrict posts promoting diet culture and plastic surgery Wednesday 6:58 PM
- Apple wants to trademark ‘Slofie,’ its term for slow-motion selfies Wednesday 5:51 PM
- Fortnite leak reveals a Batman crossover event may be happening Wednesday 5:32 PM
- The explosion at a bull semen factory generated a lot of obvious jokes Wednesday 4:33 PM
- Jessica Jaymes, adult film star, dead at 43 Wednesday 4:18 PM
- How to stream Falcons vs. Colts in Week 3 Wednesday 4:05 PM
- Beto O’Rourke says he opposes police use of facial recognition tech Wednesday 4:01 PM
- Lawsuit alleges woman was kidnapped by Lyft driver and gang-raped Wednesday 3:19 PM
- Facebook and Ray-Ban want to replace smartphones with smart glasses Wednesday 3:13 PM
- Sirfetch’d is the gallant new Pokémon winning everyone’s heart Wednesday 3:09 PM
- Danielle Cohn’s dad says she’s not really 15 years old Wednesday 2:14 PM
- Chilling ad by Sandy Hook Promise features kids using school supplies during a shooting Wednesday 1:50 PM
- Don’t fall victim to this Venmo texting scam Wednesday 1:18 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in October 2019 Wednesday 12:55 PM
These are the places where you can’t use your selfie stick
This is why we can’t have nice things.
There are a few iconic products that are as ridiculous as they are useful. Often we’re introduced to them through late-night television infomercials, or in the impulse-buy section of a convenience-store checkout lane.
And of course, the selfie stick.
Unlike its fellow oddities, the selfie stick has been the target of bans in a variety of places. It’s categorized as intrusive, dangerous, and generally obnoxious, and so crowded events and areas are trying to get rid of it altogether. Coachella and Lollapalooza are only the latest events to put the kibosh on the best thing that ever happened to selfies. Here’s a running list of everywhere that selfie sticks have been outlawed.
1) South Korea
2) A handful of U.K. music venues
5) A few museums in Texas
12) Dublin’s 3Arena
14) U.K. nightclub Hanley
15) Also, the Sugarmill nightclub
16) Planes… sort of… (Basically, don’t try to use them in airports or on planes.)
17) Apple WWDC
The list grows longer every day.
Photo via elPadawan/Flickr (CC BY SA 2.0)
Molly McHugh is the tech editor of the Daily Dot, focusing on technology, social media, sports, and streaming entertainment. Her work has also appeared in Wired and the Ringer.