- How to watch ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8, episode 2 for free Today 7:00 AM
- Gendry is making a new weapon for Arya Stark—but what is it? Today 6:30 AM
- The live-action Halo series could be Showtime’s most ambitious project yet Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Turner Classic Movies for free Today 5:30 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Athletic Bilbao online for free Today 5:00 AM
- ‘Star Trek’s Jonathan Frakes calls out your lies with this new meme Saturday 3:46 PM
- #JusticeForLucca trends after video shows police slam Black teen’s head into pavement Saturday 3:11 PM
- The internet is shocked to learn that Goombas do, in fact, have arms Saturday 2:02 PM
- PayPal, GoFundMe cut off armed militia that detains migrants at border Saturday 1:16 PM
- Barnwood theft may be on the rise because of ‘Fixer Upper’—and fans aren’t having it Saturday 12:23 PM
- Literary Twitter calls out Dzanc Books for Islamophobic, racist novel Saturday 11:40 AM
- How to watch Crawford vs. Khan online Saturday 10:00 AM
- Beyoncé has 2 more projects coming to Netflix after ‘Homecoming’ Saturday 9:53 AM
- How to watch Danny Garcia vs. Adrian Granados for free Saturday 9:00 AM
- The ‘Feeling Cute Challenge’ turns ugly after correctional officers abuse it Saturday 7:30 AM
How to enable Netflix’s Smart Downloads feature for Android
iPhone owners will have to wait a little bit longer.
Netflix has come up with another way to help you binge in the background. On July 10, it rolled out a new feature for Android users— Netflix Smart Downloads, which allows subscribers to download shows offline.
For those using the Netflix app, there’s no need to be concerned about storage. Once you’re done watching an episode, Smart Downloads will delete it and automatically download the next episode. The downloads will only be activated when Wi-Fi is on. This will help with storage and data usage.
- Hulu vs Netflix: Which streaming service is right for you?
- Netflix release dates: Everything to look forward to in 2018
- How much data does Netflix use?
- 14 Netflix hacks that will change the way you stream
How to enable Netflix Smart Downloads
Netflix allowed shows and movies to be downloaded offline in 2016. However, this new feature only applies to shows. As Director of Product Innovation Cameron Johnson told BuzzFeed: “Netflix isn’t intelligent enough to figure out the exact movie you might want to watch next yet!” In a blog post, Johnson emphasized that efficiency is what subscribers want, and that “the faster you can get to the next episode you want to watch, the better.”
To enable the feature, go to the Downloads icon on the Netflix app and turn on Smart Downloads.
If you want to manage your shows independently and not delete episodes, you can turn off the feature by going to the Downloads section or via App Settings and toggling off.
Smart Downloads is only available to Android users right now. iOS users will get access later in 2018.
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.