In some ways, iOS 8 is a subtle update at first gloss. It’s not the radical visual overhaul that iOS 7 brought us, so it’s sort of hard to figure out what’s changed. If you managed to get the new iPhone and iPad software installed on your device without deleting your entire life in the process, these are a few iOS 8 tweaks worth checking out while we wait for developers to build the really cool stuff.
1) Take a selfie using the front-facing camera timer
Yes, this is in fact my favorite iOS 8 feature.
2) Double click the home button
It’s like all your friends are right there hanging out, sort of.
3) Try some apps optimized for iOS 8
Widgets in the notification center! Crazy weather animations! Untold wonders!
- Yahoo Weather
- LastPass now offers Touch ID integration.
- Pinterest has updated its embedded sharing button for iOS 8.
Many more are on the way, but this is a bare bones list of what to try now.
4) Swap in a different keyboard
5) Send a short voice clip from Messages
Walkie-talkies are back. Copy?
6) Swipe down and find stuff
Spotlight now indexes the App Store, movie times, iTunes, and the Internet at large. Boom.
Photo by Taylor Hatmaker