- Barstool Sports founder under investigation for anti-union tweets 6 Years Ago
- Harmony Korine’s ‘The Beach Bum’ is now streaming on Hulu 6 Years Ago
- How an Instagram feud led to the death of 9-year-old girl Today 11:08 AM
- A scarier ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ extended director’s cut is coming to Blu-ray Today 9:15 AM
- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate Today 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Today 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Today 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Saturday 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Saturday 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Saturday 12:09 PM
- Instagram model Rianne Meijer on keeping it real with her followers Saturday 10:52 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Saturday 8:30 AM
1. ilu: I’m in a hurry, and I might not even mean it, but there it is. You brought this on yourself.
2. <3: I just discovered emoticons.
3. : I just discovered emoji.
4. oh you: I’m completely in love with you but will never admit it unless you say it first.
5. luv u: I’m in middle school. My screenname is QTpiegrly996.
6. Lerve you: I’m on Reddit a lot.
7. Lurve you: I’m still on Reddit a lot.
8. RT/fave (insert anything you tweet here): I’m passive aggressively showing you I agree with any crazy piece of nonsense you say, and therefore I obviously love you.
9. loves you: I enjoy brunch, IKEA, and girls/guys nights out.
10. loves ya: See the above, plus I frequently use finger guns and/or air kisses. (And I probably love nothing other than myself.)
11. kisses!: I have a very small dog and it is the only thing I truly love.
12. love you bitch: We are secretly competative best friends.
13. heart you/<3 you: You said you love me, and I might love you, but I don’t really know, so using this Internet phrase or emoticon pairing let’s me buy a little time while I make up my mind.
14. Love you: We are in a relationship, and I’m probably going to see you in the near future; this is my standard chat/text sign off when we speak.
15. LOVE YOU: We are in a relationship, and I may or may not see you soon. The emphasis via caps means I’m reinforcing this because we’re either in a long distance relationship or fighting. I cannot contain my love at the moment.
16. LOVE YOU!: I really love you, to the point that you’re feeling suffocated. I post this publicly as often as possible.
17. I love you: We are legit in love, unless this is the first time I’ve made this avowal. Then its Internet origins void it.
18. looooooooooooooooove yooooooooooooooou: You are the first person I’ve ever said “I love you” to, and I say it frequently. We’re probably going to break up soon, especially because this is how I say it in real life too.
19. XoXo: I’m your mom and I haven’t figure out Facebook Chat yet; I write really long, email-length messages with sign-offs like this.
20. luv u 2: Either I’m in middle school and replying to you or I really love U2.
Photo via GypsyGen
Molly McHugh is the tech editor of the Daily Dot, focusing on technology, social media, sports, and streaming entertainment. Her work has also appeared in Wired and the Ringer.