- Trump accuses Jewish Democrats of having ‘great disloyalty’ or a ‘lack of knowledge’ Tuesday 8:02 PM
- 1 million ‘anonymous’ users of popular porn site exposed in breach Tuesday 6:56 PM
- Khloé Kardashian angers followers with a calorie-counting joke about True Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Spider-Man may no longer be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe Tuesday 5:28 PM
- Robert De Niro’s company is suing ex-employee for binge-watching Netflix at work Tuesday 4:41 PM
- Intentionally misgendering a character could get you banned from Borderlands 3 Tuesday 4:06 PM
- Facebook pulls Trump re-election ad for targeting ‘strong women’ Tuesday 4:03 PM
- Kamala Harris says she will restore net neutrality if elected Tuesday 3:16 PM
- All 8 of the ‘Rocky’ movies, ranked Tuesday 2:50 PM
- Everything you need to know about the Facebook conservative bias report Tuesday 2:35 PM
- Study links emoji use to more sex Tuesday 2:10 PM
- The chicken sandwich war is in full throttle on Twitter Tuesday 1:47 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Sextuplets’ proves Marlon Wayans is no Eddie Murphy—or even Mike Myers Tuesday 1:31 PM
- Facebook is finally rolling out its clear history tool Tuesday 1:13 PM
- ‘Theater etiquette’ tweets surge after YouTuber cast in ‘Waitress’ Tuesday 12:55 PM
The viral tale of what color this stupid dress is
Inside Dressgate 2015.
guys please help me – is this dress white and gold, or blue and black? Me and my friends can’t agree and we are freaking the fuck out
Some users see the dress as white and gold. Others see black and blue. Some report being able to see both colors at different times, or swap the colors at will. #TheDress began trending on Twitter, along with other hashtags, and everyone started to weigh in with their their own theories—emotions, light and color influences, simply a hoax.
dress theory: the aliens are switching some of our brains so we become frustrated and begin to fight and then they’ll take over
— lex (@lexielogic) February 27, 2015
that theory about your emotions and the dress is bs… the dress changes color by itself not by how you’re feeling lmfao
— carlos (@Carrlos_sanchez) February 27, 2015
I don’t understand this odd dress debate and I feel like it’s a trick somehow.
I’m confused and scared.
PS it’s OBVIOUSLY BLUE AND BLACK
— Taylor Swift (@taylorswift13) February 27, 2015
BuzzFeed tapped Ben, a post-production supervisor, for some insight. According to Ben, the photo—taken with a camera phone in poor lighting—casts the whites in a blue tone and mutes the gold to a darker color.
People who see blue and black are seeing the photo at face value. People who see gold and white are compensating to the photo’s lighting and aesthetic. There’s been no consensus or total explainer yet, but that hasn’t stopped dress memes from popping up.
We think it’s a dress from Roman Originals, specifically this make and model, a black and blue offering that comes in other colors. Roman Originals could not be reached for comment.
For what it’s worth, here’s what Google thinks.
The dress is likely blue and black. But with doctored lighting appears convincingly white and gold.
Update 5:24am CT, Feb. 27: We got in touch with Roman, the maker of what we believe to be the dress. They confirmed the dress has never been made in white and gold before. However, that doesn’t mean your pipe dream has to die: “I can confirm that we are in contact with the suppliers to establish if we can get style 70931 manufactured in white and gold.” Hope lives.
Photo via Cajsa Lilliehook/Flickr (CC BY SA 2.0)
A former YouTube reporter for the Daily Dot, Rae Votta has more than a decade of experience in the digital and entertainment industries. Her work has appeared on AOL, Huffington Post, Out Magazine, Logo, VH1, Current TV, Billboard, and NYMag. She joined Netflix in 2016.