- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez supports resolution that could lead to Trump’s impeachment Thursday 9:46 PM
- Ricardo Milos dancing memes are the new Rickroll Thursday 9:09 PM
- Laura Loomer sues Twitter, Muslim lobbying group over account ban Thursday 8:15 PM
- Far-right troll Ian Miles Cheong gets flamed for mocking a ‘Star Wars’ fan Thursday 6:17 PM
- Facebook says ‘millions,’ not ‘tens of thousands,’ affected by Instagram password bug Thursday 5:13 PM
- Leading 2020 Democrats mock redactions in Mueller report Thursday 4:04 PM
- 8 weed accessories for stealthy stoners Thursday 4:00 PM
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate players are now fighting on giant d*cks Thursday 3:37 PM
- Why are Facebook and Google translating this Spanish word into a racial slur? Thursday 3:32 PM
- Instagram page encourages meme creators to join a meme union Thursday 3:24 PM
- 28 smokin’ hot gifts for your stoner friend Thursday 1:33 PM
- The 5 most important conclusions from Robert Mueller’s report Thursday 1:28 PM
- Facebook bans many of the U.K.’s infamous far-right groups Thursday 1:15 PM
- Cersei and Tyrion Lannister learned about respect from Elmo Thursday 12:57 PM
- The Mueller Report includes a footnote about the pee tape Thursday 12:08 PM
Trump wants the U.S. military to have a ‘space force’
Move over, Air Force. President Donald Trump wants a ‘space force.’
In a speech to personnel at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in San Diego on Tuesday, Trump suggested a new military branch that would, presumably, go to infinity and beyond.
“My new national strategy for space recognizes that space is a war-fighting domain, just like the land, air and sea,” said Trump. “We may even have a ‘space force’—develop another one—space force. We have the Air Force. We’ll have the space force. We have the Army, the Navy.”
He failed to mention the Coast Guard or the Marines.
“I said ‘maybe we need a new force. We’ll call it the space force.’ Not really serious,” he said, reportedly to mixed laughter. “And then I said ‘What a great idea. Maybe we’ll have to do that.’ That could happen.”
According to Gizmodo, despite Trump taking full credit for the suggestion, military leaders last year said space is the next war frontier (as they were requesting funding).
After Trump renewed the “space force” proposal, Twitter completely roasted him.
dude……space force pic.twitter.com/7jCwPPJvdW
— Mike Miller (@OtherMikeMiller) March 13, 2018
Actual footage of tRump ispecting his new "Space Force": pic.twitter.com/AVG5d8w6LU
— 🌊✊❄Gerald❄🖖🌊 #VetsResistSquadron (@Langkard) March 13, 2018
And this guy will lead the Space Force. pic.twitter.com/VyiXIfPplu
— RPro (@rickpro13) March 13, 2018
enlisting for the space force pic.twitter.com/FNan1EpQtV
— Josh Billinson (@jbillinson) March 13, 2018
— Dennis (@Reign_86_) March 13, 2018
Space Force preparing for their first space battle. pic.twitter.com/QReQ5w3OEj
— whatapityonyou (@Whatapityonyou) March 13, 2018
I laugh at your puny “Space Force”
— Sweet Meteor O'Death (@smod4real) March 13, 2018
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.