- Here are all of the Fortnite earthquake cracks thus far 11 Months Ago
- New Apex Legends characters leaked by data miners Today 12:36 PM
- Ken Jeong falls back on crude humor and lazy stereotypes in ‘You Complete Me, Ho’ Today 12:24 PM
- 14 artsy cartoon mugs that’ll help make your days more creative Today 12:15 PM
- Netflix cancels ‘Jessica Jones’ and ‘The Punisher’ Today 11:26 AM
- YouTube is fueling the rise in flat earth believers Today 11:04 AM
- Review: Crackdown 3 is not a world worth saving Today 11:00 AM
- Scathing privacy report calls Facebook a ‘digital gangster’ Today 10:50 AM
- 21 Savage goes deep on 21 Savage memes Today 10:49 AM
- Everyone is debating the number of towels you should own Today 10:47 AM
- How to unlock the Fortnite Prisoner stage 4 skin Today 10:45 AM
- Julian Assange reportedly nominated for Nobel Peace Prize Today 10:27 AM
- Major U.S. airlines will soon implement nonbinary gender options Today 10:21 AM
- Trump calls 25th Amendment talk a ‘coup’ attempt Today 8:42 AM
- The Hatebook: Inside Facebook’s thriving subculture of racism Today 7:29 AM
Trump wants the U.S. military to have a ‘space force’
Move over, Air Force. President Donald Trump wants a ‘space force.’
In a speech to personnel at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in San Diego on Tuesday, Trump suggested a new military branch that would, presumably, go to infinity and beyond.
“My new national strategy for space recognizes that space is a war-fighting domain, just like the land, air and sea,” said Trump. “We may even have a ‘space force’—develop another one—space force. We have the Air Force. We’ll have the space force. We have the Army, the Navy.”
He failed to mention the Coast Guard or the Marines.
“I said ‘maybe we need a new force. We’ll call it the space force.’ Not really serious,” he said, reportedly to mixed laughter. “And then I said ‘What a great idea. Maybe we’ll have to do that.’ That could happen.”
According to Gizmodo, despite Trump taking full credit for the suggestion, military leaders last year said space is the next war frontier (as they were requesting funding).
After Trump renewed the “space force” proposal, Twitter completely roasted him.
dude……space force pic.twitter.com/7jCwPPJvdW
— Mike Miller (@OtherMikeMiller) March 13, 2018
Actual footage of tRump ispecting his new "Space Force": pic.twitter.com/AVG5d8w6LU
— 🌊✊❄Gerald❄🖖🌊 #VetsResistSquadron (@Langkard) March 13, 2018
And this guy will lead the Space Force. pic.twitter.com/VyiXIfPplu
— RPro (@rickpro13) March 13, 2018
enlisting for the space force pic.twitter.com/FNan1EpQtV
— Josh Billinson (@jbillinson) March 13, 2018
— Dennis (@Reign_86_) March 13, 2018
Space Force preparing for their first space battle. pic.twitter.com/QReQ5w3OEj
— whatapityonyou (@Whatapityonyou) March 13, 2018
this is my friend, he died fighting with the space force, please retweet to show respect to the troops and honor his memory pic.twitter.com/WKjOfbnVDC
— 💰TRILLIONAIRE💰 (@maltyhops) March 13, 2018
I laugh at your puny “Space Force”
— Sweet Meteor O'Death (@smod4real) March 13, 2018
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.