- How to protect yourself from the data breach that affected 744 million accounts 4 Years Ago
- How to stream Rob Brant vs. Khasan Baysangurov online for free Today 12:21 PM
- No, Ocasio-Cortez doesn’t have her boyfriend on her payroll Today 12:20 PM
- Writers want this book canceled for misgendering its protagonist Today 12:15 PM
- Trump Jr’s meme about his dad’s border wall doesn’t get how Congress works Today 11:44 AM
- FBI reportedly looking into Ryan Adams’ communications with underage girl Today 11:25 AM
- Trump does Chinese accent, declares national emergency, bewilders the internet Today 11:21 AM
- Chrissy Teigen throws shade at Logan Paul-Kaitlin Bennett pairing Today 10:48 AM
- Trump says ‘I didn’t need to do this’ while declaring national emergency Today 10:48 AM
- Women sue border patrol for detaining them for speaking Spanish Today 10:20 AM
- Tana Mongeau’s switch to Twitch has not gone well Today 9:58 AM
- Trans YouTube streamer shot in leg by security guard Today 9:25 AM
- Ted Cruz tries his ‘El Chapo’ Act again, to internet mockery Today 9:18 AM
- How to play the new ‘Tetris 99’ battle royale game on Nintendo Switch for free Today 9:12 AM
- ‘The Breaker Upperers’ is a quirky rom-com about friendship Today 8:54 AM
Apple sells 10 million iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in first weekend
People must really like big phones.
People really like big phones. Apple sold 10 million iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus units in the first weekend of availability, the company announced today. That’s a new record for Apple, beating the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c, which sold 9 million units in its first weekend last year.
“Sales for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus exceeded our expectations for the launch weekend, and we couldn’t be happier,” said Apple CEO Tim Cook. “We would like to thank all of our customers for making this our best launch ever, shattering all previous sell-through records by a large margin. While our team managed the manufacturing ramp better than ever before, we could have sold many more iPhones with greater supply and we are working hard to fill orders as quickly as possible.”
The iPhone 6 (4.7-inches) and iPhone 6 Plus (5.5-inches) are somewhat of a departure for Apple, far exceeding the 4-inch size of its previous phones. Formerly decrying the big phone phenomenon, Apple has joined it without reservation, now offering a phone in every desirable size.
While the sales numbers are close to last year’s totals, Apple managed to sell 10 million iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus units without offering the devices in China—where the iPhone 5s and 5c were available at launch—due to reported regulatory issues.
The rollout of iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus will continue on Sept. 26, when the devices become available in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Turkey and United Arab Emirates.
While availability is currently limited online for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, Apple Stores get new shipments every day, and along with carrier stores, will be your best bet to find the device.
Photo by William Hook/Flickr (CC BY SA 2.0)
Micah Singleton is a former technology and culture reporter of the Daily Dot and a former staff writer at Gizmodo. His work has also appeared in Time, Yahoo, the Verge, Mashable, ReadWrite, and NBC. Singleton was named a "rising star" by the Huffington Post in 2013.