- Redditor wants to know if he’s the a**hole for ghosting pregnant partner Thursday 8:19 PM
- How to go live on TikTok Thursday 8:08 PM
- Joey Salads suggests Democrats carried out Santa Clarita mass shooting Thursday 7:31 PM
- How influencers use TikTok to make money and launch careers Thursday 7:18 PM
- How to stream Argentina vs. Brazil live Thursday 6:51 PM
- How to watch Disney+ on a smart TV Thursday 6:28 PM
- Miss Fame calls out Justin Bieber for low music video appearance pay offer Thursday 6:19 PM
- Trump Jr. ranked No. 1 on best-seller list—after the GOP gave away copies of his book Thursday 5:45 PM
- How to get Disney+ bundle if you already subscribe to Hulu and/or ESPN+ Thursday 5:19 PM
- Mo’Nique suing Netflix for race and gender discrimination Thursday 5:09 PM
- Students outraged that professors accused of sexual misconduct are still teaching Thursday 5:00 PM
- TikTok users jokingly wear big hats to sneak snacks into movie theaters Thursday 3:59 PM
- Why today’s new facially recognition bill is being called ‘woefully’ inadequate Thursday 3:15 PM
- Facebook has given more user data to the government than ever before Thursday 2:57 PM
- How to sign up for Disney Plus Thursday 2:55 PM
YouTube right now! Mac Lethal’s pancake rap spreads like syrup
Here’s why a “Look at Me Now” parody hits a million views in 24 hours.
In YouTube Right Now, the Daily Dot looks at videos that catch our eyes, push our buttons, and move our dials—and that you’ve just got to watch. Right now!
Kansas City rapper Mac Lethal, at the request of his fans, raps to the beat of Chris Brown’s “Look at Me Now” while making pancakes.
Twenty-four hours later, more than a million people have seen his video.
Mac Lethal’s “Cook with Me Now” parody, titled “Nerdy white kid KILLS ‘Look at Me Now,’” has two things that might explain its near-lethal infectiousness. (A million views in 24 hours fits any definition of a viral video.) First, the lyrics to Mac Lethal’s song are incredibly witty. Second, the magnetism he exudes while making his pancakes is undeniable.
“The best part is you’re using real words and they’re understandable, rather than making up some random sound and calling it ‘slang’ like 99% of rappers” writes shamz0rz in a top comment on YouTube.
Mac Lethal namedrops everyone from pop star Rihanna to fellow YouTube phenom Chuck Testa, swears profanely and then rhymes “economy” with “dichotomy.” He flips from high to low culture as deftly as he turns over his pancakes.
Speaking of which, we’re hungry.
Fruzsina Eördögh was the Daily Dot's first YouTube reporter. In addition to working as a producer for the now-defunct digital channel TouchVision TV, Eördögh has been published by Vice, the Christian Science Monitor, the Guardian, Variety, and Slate.