- ‘Christmas With My Father’: Generational tension, without the tension 8 Years Ago
- New ‘Rise of Skywalker’ clip includes a possible spoiler about Palpatine Today 7:16 AM
- Teens keep trolling Florida’s new school safety app Today 6:30 AM
- What is the TikTok drink and can you still get it? Thursday 9:27 PM
- ‘Party, Party, Party’ TikTok meme grapples with party culture Thursday 8:43 PM
- Baby Yoda was just added to Sims 4 Thursday 7:54 PM
- Religious conservatives petition Netflix to pull ‘gay Jesus’ Christmas comedy Thursday 7:19 PM
- Kylie Jenner criticized for yet another expensive car post Thursday 5:57 PM
- Apex Legends became a major Pornhub search in 2019 Thursday 5:15 PM
- CBS accidentally interviewed InfoWars host as regular Trump supporter Thursday 4:31 PM
- TLC accused of fatphobia, fetishization with show about ‘mixed-weight’ couples Thursday 3:41 PM
- Betting odds show KSI could fight FaZe Sensei, Jake Paul, or Justin Bieber next Thursday 3:20 PM
- Nick Cannon releases another thirsty Eminem diss track Thursday 2:59 PM
- Dogs at polling stations are helping bark out the vote in the U.K. Thursday 1:00 PM
- Streamers dominated Pornhub searches in 2019 Thursday 12:59 PM
YouTube right now! Mac Lethal’s pancake rap spreads like syrup
Here’s why a “Look at Me Now” parody hits a million views in 24 hours.
In YouTube Right Now, the Daily Dot looks at videos that catch our eyes, push our buttons, and move our dials—and that you’ve just got to watch. Right now!
Kansas City rapper Mac Lethal, at the request of his fans, raps to the beat of Chris Brown’s “Look at Me Now” while making pancakes.
Twenty-four hours later, more than a million people have seen his video.
Mac Lethal’s “Cook with Me Now” parody, titled “Nerdy white kid KILLS ‘Look at Me Now,’” has two things that might explain its near-lethal infectiousness. (A million views in 24 hours fits any definition of a viral video.) First, the lyrics to Mac Lethal’s song are incredibly witty. Second, the magnetism he exudes while making his pancakes is undeniable.
“The best part is you’re using real words and they’re understandable, rather than making up some random sound and calling it ‘slang’ like 99% of rappers” writes shamz0rz in a top comment on YouTube.
Mac Lethal namedrops everyone from pop star Rihanna to fellow YouTube phenom Chuck Testa, swears profanely and then rhymes “economy” with “dichotomy.” He flips from high to low culture as deftly as he turns over his pancakes.
Speaking of which, we’re hungry.
Fruzsina Eördögh was the Daily Dot's first YouTube reporter. In addition to working as a producer for the now-defunct digital channel TouchVision TV, Eördögh has been published by Vice, the Christian Science Monitor, the Guardian, Variety, and Slate.