- People are roasting this ‘traditional’ take on marriage with a hilarious meme Saturday 5:17 PM
- The internet just collectively realized that the Neopets of the world must be hungry Saturday 4:00 PM
- Alt-right message board 8chan was served a search warrant Saturday 3:06 PM
- O.J. Simpson just joined Twitter in the most bizarre fashion Saturday 1:20 PM
- Prominent phone-hacking firm says it can unlock any iPhone for law enforcement Saturday 12:39 PM
- Hundreds of police officers belong to extremist Facebook groups, investigation finds Saturday 9:31 AM
- How to watch Tyson Fury vs. Tom Schwarz online Saturday 8:00 AM
- ‘Late Night’ is a disappointing, tepid comedy Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Love It or List It’ for free Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup online for free Saturday 6:55 AM
- Borderlands 3 preview suggests the aging series can still hang with the cool kids Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to stream the 2019 College World Series for free Saturday 6:00 AM
- Police try to solve domestic violence by giving victims blunt kitchen knives Friday 5:40 PM
- Privacy activist Ola Bini detained for 2 months in Ecuador without charges Friday 5:01 PM
- Twitter says suspending ‘God’ for a pro-LGBTQ tweet was an ‘error’ Friday 4:14 PM
YouTuber facing 2 years in prison after feeding homeless man toothpaste-filled Oreos
‘Look at the positive side: This will help him clean his teeth.’
A YouTube star named Kanghua Ren faces up to two years in prison after playing a prank on a homeless man that involved filling Oreo cookies with toothpaste.
Kanghua, who vlogs under the name ReSet and who has 1.2 million subscribers, filmed himself scraping the filling out of the cookies and squeezing out the toothpaste to replace the filling. Then, the 20-year-old Kanghua approached the homeless man, gave him a €20 bill ($24), and walked away after the man showed his gratitude.
On the video, the Chinese-born Barcelona resident said, “Maybe I’ve gone a bit far, but look at the positive side: This will help him clean his teeth. I think he hasn’t cleaned them since he became poor.”
As the Independent notes, Kanghua is facing a charge of a crime against moral integrity. Along with the proposed prison sentence, prosecutors are also asking that Kanghua pay a €30,000 ($37,000) penalty.
According to reports, the homeless man vomited five minutes after eating the cookie and apparently feared for his life.
The video has been deleted.
Prosecutors said the YouTuber offered the man €300 to stay silent. According to the Independent, prosecutors also said that, in previous videos, Kanghua had made sandwiches filled with cat excrement and offered them to children and elderly people for the sake of his vlog. Those videos do not currently appear on his channel.
Kanghua mostly has been posting Fortnite videos lately, but he also vlogs extreme challenges and prank videos
According to court documents, Kanghua made €2,000 ($2,467) off the video from YouTube.
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.