- How to watch the New Orleans Bowl online for free 10 Months Ago
- Prada’s racist toys pulled from shelves after social media backlash 10 Months Ago
- How to watch the Camellia Bowl online for free 10 Months Ago
- How to watch the Las Vegas Bowl online for free Today 8:30 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Rayo Vallecano online for free Today 7:30 AM
- ‘Runaways’ season 2 expands its universe and mysteries Today 7:30 AM
- How to watch the Cure Bowl online for free Today 7:05 AM
- How to watch Canelo Alvarez vs. Rocky Fielding for free Today 7:00 AM
- Politicians who inspired the internet in 2018 Today 6:30 AM
- Here are all the college bowl games on TV today Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch the New Mexico Bowl online for free Today 5:15 AM
- How to watch the Celebration Bowl online for free Today 4:55 AM
- How to watch Borussia Dortmund vs. Werder Bremen online for free Today 3:00 AM
- Report: DACA recipients increasingly being denied federal housing loans Friday 3:54 PM
- Chris Christie is finally getting praise—for turning down Donald Trump Friday 3:39 PM
Plenty of people had negative things to say about Fergie’s NBA All-Star “jazzy” rendition of the national anthem. Talk show host Wendy Williams was no exception—but while she was criticizing Fergie, she took the opportunity to drag other artists she said need Aut0-Tune to sound good for a live audience.
On the Wendy Williams Show Tuesday morning, Williams said Beyoncé is one of many artists who “need” Auto-Tune, inducing the wrath of fans on Twitter.
“There are only a few people who can sing raw dog and Fergie is not one. She needs Auto-Tune,” Williams said. “Jen Lopez needs autotune, Janet needs autotune, Beyoncé needs Auto-Tune. Adele, Aretha, Celine, Dionne Warwick, and Mariah, they need nothing. They sing raw dog.”
Following her comment, the Beyhive went off on the talk show host.
Wendy said what about Beyoncé ?? pic.twitter.com/MKNijay2mh
— ***ΒΔΚ 🎄 MΘNΣYBΔG 🎁 (@B_NERD) February 20, 2018
Wendy Williams just said Beyonce needs autotune, and the only real singers are Adele, Aretha, Celine, Dionne, and Mariah.
I’m so confused. Clearly so is she.
— J.Marie (@ItsMeJMarie) February 20, 2018
imagine thinking Beyoncé — one of the most technically flawless and consistent vocalists in popular music, always delivering pitch-perfect LIVE vocals — needs auto tune. Beyoncé's never even been in the same room as auto tune. 😂😂😂
oh, Wendy… https://t.co/fh4cOQD3kp
— Kevin Allred (@KevinAllred) February 20, 2018
Wendy Williams: "Beyoncé needs auto tune to sing"
— KOSHER (@JRAN_76) February 20, 2018
Wendy Williams: Beyonce needs autotune, she can't sing.
The Beehive: pic.twitter.com/A1w7V6yPkd
— ✨ (@itsjoinotjoy) February 20, 2018
Knowing she’s no Queen Bey, Fergie made a statement of apology following her widely-criticized national anthem performance.
“I love this country and honestly tried my best,” the singer said.
Despite suggesting the need for Auto-Tune, Williams defended Fergie and said the apologetic statement wasn’t necessary.
“I don’t feel like Fergie needed to apologize to anybody. You did it, you done it, and that’s that,” Williams said. “She did her jazzy version of the anthem at the NBA and everyone was upset and she released a statement saying she wanted to do something different—and apparently different wasn’t good.”
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.