- Netflix debuts upcoming releases section on the Netflix TV app 1 Year Ago
- Marianne Williams announces plan for a Department of Peace 1 Year Ago
- PewDiePie marries Marzia—and shares photos of YouTube’s royal wedding 1 Year Ago
- How to stream Club América vs. Tigres UANL in the Leagues Cup semis Today 8:17 AM
- Deadpool unmasked: Here’s everything you need to know about Marvel’s anti-hero Today 7:53 AM
- Fantasy football 2019: Your team-by-team AFC preview Today 7:45 AM
- Invader Zim is still delightfully weird in ‘Enter the Florpus’ Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ is getting a totally unnecessary re-release Today 6:43 AM
- People are demanding the man who filmed the killing of Eric Garner be freed with #FreeRamsey Monday 7:36 PM
- Billie Eilish’s ‘Bad Guy’ unseats ‘Old Town Road’ from the No. 1 spot Monday 6:11 PM
- People think Ghislaine Maxwell was Photoshopped in those In-N-Out photos Monday 5:41 PM
- People are transfixed by a TikTok cat dancing along to ‘Mr. Sandman’ Monday 4:52 PM
- Nazi troll pretending to be antifa in Portland gets outed by internet Monday 4:15 PM
- ‘Dear White People’ season 3 reflects the exhaustion of the times—for better or for worse Monday 3:59 PM
- ‘Seinfeld’ and ‘Friends’ fans feud over which sitcom is better Monday 3:57 PM
Fergie sang the national anthem during the NBA All-Star game Sunday night and people could not contain their laughter. The “Glamorous” singer sashayed up to the mic and delivered a jazzed-up rendition of “The Star-Spangled Banner,” but the end result sounded like a bad cover and the looks on players’ faces said it all.
Throughout the performance, the camera panned between shots of the players who all appeared baffled at first. Many desperately tried to avoid looking directly at Fergie, as if a head-on stare could lead to the kind of eye damage you can get from looking at the sun. Of course, Twitter users had no chill and posted player responses to the singer’s rendition.
Players faces during Fergie’s rendition of the National Anthem... pic.twitter.com/QQ3VXaBchT— Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell) February 19, 2018
By the end of the singer’s botched anthem job, everyone was smiling, including Fergie herself who beamed with excitement and accomplishment after delivering its “home of the brave” line. But it’s safe to assume the singer and her audience were not smiling for the same reason.
Draymond started cracking up while Fergie was singing the national anthem pic.twitter.com/3pMlgjGdYC— Brandon Lee Gowton (@BrandonGowton) February 19, 2018
I just listened to 7 seconds of Fergie trying to sing the National Anthem and now, I am WIDE awake. I’m so alert I could do my taxes right now. Shit.— Saeed Jones (@theferocity) February 19, 2018
it has been HOURS since Fergie sang the national anthem at the NBA all star game and the president has STILL refused to acknowledge and respond as the leader we need as a nation in this time of strife— erin ryan (@morninggloria) February 19, 2018
Check out a full clip of Fergie’s botched anthem below:
Tiffanie Drayton is a geek culture and lifestyle reporter whose work covers everything from gender and race to anime and Xbox. Her work has appeared in Complex, Salon, Marie Claire, Playboy, and elsewhere.